pros/cons

Posted , 7 users are following.

after reading posts from so many, i am seeing  the negatives, but not hearing the positives! so i am wondering if any of u have been on other antidepressants and how u would compare their effectiveness to prozac!??--i myself have been on many, and found paxil cr to be the most effect for me for years--but after going off of it for yrs, then back on, it had no effect! the rest of them were nightmares!  so i am putting hope into prozac----if u all remember, years ago, prozac was the drug of choice by any and all and called the HAPPY PILL--but seems to me most all of u r having problems with side effects and effectiveness, so i am getting a little disheartened---------by the way, i am posting this at 5 a.m. as not being able to sleep is a HORRID problem for me!

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi!

I've only been on Prozac for two weeks so I can't really tell you about the full benefits, but I have experienced no side effects except a headache the first two days. Started with 10mg the first week then up to 20. Hope this helps!

• Posted

interesting--made me realise that when i did well on ad/s i was ALSO in therapy wiht a counselor------i did so well was able to stop meds and just my counseling to keep me on course! counselor was better than the meds!  but then he retired and never found another who could compare---but i think i will try for a new one
  • Posted

May I just add that many people take anti depressants for many years, myself included, and maintain their wellness.  I've taken these for over 16 years and take a small amount now and am able to stay on a happy even keel.  SSRI's hang onto your serotonin before its reabsorbed into the brain helping to maintain the happy feeling.  It all depends on your type of depression, and for many, including myself, have low levels of serotonin.  Over the years taking this medication I have always maintained feeling well, and following my long, long 15 years of being extremely ill I'm a good example of these meds working after severe depression.  For me, they've certainly been my true fix.

Only for some people, very few, does the medication maybe not work, and again, it all depends on your type of depression.

Lets give Rosie success stories and encouragement

• Posted

hiya Rosie, yeah the negatives do come to the fore in the early days, and I am sure it is actually a positive thing to discuss them on here, compare notes, give reassurances when needed. I include myself in this because I was on 1 40mg dose a year or so ago, went through rough times but eventually got to a wonderful place in my head, in my life. Sadly due to medical intevention I was abruptly stopped from taking them so plummeted to the depths once again sad luckiy for me 4 weeks or so ago I was once again put on 40mgs and so the battle commences. I do type my negative thoughts on here, yes, but in a few weeks when Im over the worst I will be typing the positive thoughts and feeling too. Please dont be disheartened, patience and time and Fluoxetine, will gently nudge you into your c

comfort zone and the rest, as they say, will be history. Bless ya

• Posted

oooops, I really wasn't on 140mgs, where did that come from? cheesygrin
    • Posted

yes, i agree, most of the posts r those starting out and their struggles--must be those who r adjusted and doing well, no longer feel the need to get on the site and post!
    • Posted

I think all foums are mainly populated by newbies. The old hands don't feel a need to post, as ypou say, Rosie - but some of us come back now and then and respond with encouragement. Some newbies, such as yourself, attract a reponse and some don't. For me. the attraction is people who are working at it, not just posting woe is me stories.

By the by, I've been sleeping like a top for ages - good, solid, undisturbed sleep. I'm sure this helps the joy return. I have to manage my sleep - six and a half hours is enough these days. Go to bed when I'm tired and awake to an alarm clock - go to bed early if I need more sleep.

• Posted

wow--what do u attribute the good sleep coming from? this insomnia becoming quite a problem-i have no trouble at all falling asleep-but awaken after 4 hrs and cannot get back to sleep-mind starts working in overdrive!and may i ask how old u are?
  • Posted

Hi Rosie,

I was on lexapro augmented with Wellbutrin for the last 13 years. It worked amazing for me. Complete remission of all my anxiety. It changed when I got pregnant and had my son. I think my hormones shifted and all the sudden that combination wasn't working for me anymore so Iv been on Prozac for the last 4 weeks. I can't really compare because I'm still in the early days of prozac hell. But I'm hopeful.

• Posted

I say that because the side effects have been terrible. My psychiatrist started me at way to high a dose of 60mg. I have since dropped down to 40mg but I'm still struggling with nausea, brain fog, and some anxiety.
    • Posted

wow--as i have said i cannot believe the high doses you are getting started on!
    • Posted

Bless you Jenna, what a nightmare. 

Still, you do know that there's that spark of light peeping out within - say the next 4 to 8 weeks - and it might even be quicker than that, eh? And this forum is brill for support, so you're not going to be alone.

Hugs

Anne x

• Posted

Hi all,

I have removed the argumentative posts in this thread. If there are any issues with posts please use the "Report" link on the post to draw it to our attention rather than get involved with disputes. We do not have time to get involved with individual disputes and will just delete posts as required. There is an FAQ section linked below with information on this and other topics.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/topics/59133-discussion-forums

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

To reiterate - if there is an issue in the forums do not post personal comments attacking other users in the forums but tell me and I will action or message users as required. If you don't agree with other users comments ignore them unless posts are breaching the T&Cs in which case they should be reported. I can then take appropriate action before discussions break down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.