Proscure suppositories and Amitriptyline

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was going to post in a previous thread about Proscure, but it was closed so I'm going to start my own.  I have been taking proscure suppositories on and off since 2013.  I keep coming back, because they do work.  I recently stumbled on to Amitriptyline which is an anti-depressant with great side effect for men with prostate problems.  It relaxes the prostate and lower abdominal!  With both together, at night, I'm about 95% cured, which means I have one bad night ever 2 months.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Larry,

I looked the drug up and the warning was that it made bph symptons worse, including increasing post void residual. That said, I also took a calcium channel blocker recently, Cardizem (dilitiazem) that also seemed to help my bph symptons and it also had warnings about bph. I think the takeaway here is that as bph sufferers we may react differently to the same drug because bph isn't just one thing, plus we all react differently. I would therefore recommend men to tread cautiously before trying either Amitriptyline or Cardizem, because the warnings I'm sure did not come out of the blue.  But thanks for the heads up.

Jim

• Posted

I agree with JimJames.  I took Amitriptyline several years ago for pain relief for another bladder problem but it made my urine stream very weak and I started to develop urinary retention.  The urologist insisted I came off it pronto and my symptoms improved.  I was taking quite a high dosage and it made me very clumsy, sleepy and out of it.  So wouldn't recommend it.

• Posted

Included in side effects:

Did you not read the leaflet  with them? Included in the side effects.

dark urine

decrease in frequency of urination

decrease in urine volume

decreased urine output

difficulty in passing urine (dribbling)

blood in urine or stools

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.