Prosititis and PSA

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am 41 years old. last year during my full body checkup I had my first PSA ever. my reading came to 1.3. I alwo had lots of bacteria in my Urine and my Urine flow was weak for a long time. I always thought that maybe Iwas just getting old and so didn't realize that something was wrong until I got my gull body checkup by the GP.

I GP put me on doxycycline 100 mg of o be take morning and evening and after a month my urine flow improved quite a bit. After 4 weeks I wanted to go for another PSA test but testing is as shutdown due to Covid being wide spread. I finally tested in Jan 2021, a month after I have finished Doxycycline and my PSA was still 1.3.

Now before meeting the GP and until I got my second PSA test I had been having pain the in left abdominal area, perineum, behind left testicle and lower back ache. I brought this to my GPs attention mutliple times until he recommended I show myself to a urologist. I showed my self to a urologist about 5 weeks back and he gave me a DRE and I old me that I had prosititis. He put me back on doxycycline 100 mg one in the morning and one in the evening. The day I finished my course, the very next day I was sent for a PSA and a free pSA test and this time the result was 1.2. Now during the second course of doxycycline I didnt notice too much improvement in my urine flow fron what I already had gotten from my first course. my urologist again dis a DRE and told me that my prostate was still a bit enlarged and boggy. i have been given a semen test and my waiting for my results.

i was wondering if anyone else knew what their PSA levels were when they had or have prostatitis. I have been wondering if my PSA levels would come down if my prostatitis was treated / cured.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

You mention

I had been having pain the in left abdominal area, perineum, behind left testicle and lower back ache. I brought this to my GPs attention mutliple times until he recommended I show myself to a urologist.*

Note the above are not signs of prostate cancer (PCa).

You mention

i was wondering if anyone else knew what their PSA levels were when they had or have prostatitis. I have been wondering if my PSA levels would come down if my prostatitis was treated / cured.*

PCa and prostitis are not related. I have been treated for 4 years for the former and NEVER did any physican mention prostatitis.

Measuring the PSA should not take place too often or when you're on antibiotics as the inflammation being treated will influence the PSA.

Wait a month or more after you're finished the antibiotic before retesting the PSA.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.