Prostarte enlargement

Posted , 4 users are following.

Iam diabetic but controlled.I been facing UTI quite sometime and later understand that there was a increase in PSA which was 6.47 and later after medication after a long time i again had UTI problems with slight blood in urine,here one of my testicals were enlarged and checked with PSA it was increased to 8.647 after medication i dont have any such and dont see any problem consisting to Urinary problems..goof urine flow still

on medication.Do i need Biopsy where my doc says to rule it out and the other doc says no to it.Kindly advice

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi John. No, at this stage I would not have a biopsy. Both times you had an increased PSA, you had a UTI, a known cause of high PSA.

Do you have any more PSA readings when you were well? because it is the increase in the PSA number over time that gives you a cancer concern. 

If your PSA number doubled in 12 months, or is over 4, then you need to work out what caused it. PSA rises as we get older. It also rises if the prostate is unwell. I had a severe UTI last year in April, and my PSA rose from an avg of 2.4 to 13 in a few months. I had a mpMRI which said no meaningful cancer but BPH and prostatitus. My PSA may take several months to return to its old score.

Biopsy is the last thing to do and only when your PSA is shown to be rising, you have no known issues likely to innocently cause it, and after getting a 3TmpMRI, which will show you if there is cancer, and if so, then get a targeted biopsy to work out what Gleason score the cancer has to determine what to do about it.

What age are you? 

​Geoff

• Posted

Hi Geoff,

Thanks a lot for your reply.Well iam 46 now.My dad had a prostrate surgery for an enlargment only, quite sometime back when he was 68.But unfortunately dont know how things took a trun so fast for me.When i took my second opinon from another urologist ..he first examined by rectal method and later said dont think it may be an infection or inflamation..asked me to get back after 3 weeks.He also said my PSA levels are high when i had a infection on to me such as UTI or teticular inflamation..Asked me who had recommended me for a PSA, i said the other doc.. he said no doctor could recommend you for the test, you guys are the Google freks so you concluded by the information on net.I just kept quite no use of an argument.hahhhaaa.

well let me see after a month and do my PSA levels checked and then take a conclusion.But today i had a mild UTI ...but it subsided.

Thanks any way will keep you posted on mine..and friends like you are always there where i can count on.Thanks once again.

Regards,

John

• Posted

John, at 46, you are on the early side of prostate cancer risk. Despite what your doctor said, if you have an elevated PSA reading, get a 6 monthly PSA and monitor its movement. Also, keep track of any UTI, as these will raise your PSA. If you are having 'regular' UTI, you need to resolve the cause, as this puts the prostate under pressure every time.

The PSA test is just a test of the prostates health. There are far more chances at your age of other causes for the rise, other than cancer. 

Geoff

• Posted

John  I have been a diabetic for over 10 years.  Been on alot of medication.  If your doctor tells you no you don't need it leave it alone.  I was a 7.0 at one time I just watch mine.  It's been 4.0 and the last one was 0.7  It can go up for many reason not you medacation.  Try to relax and have some fun  Take care  Ken 

• Posted

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply..and your informationwell let me see after a month and do my PSA levels checked and then take a conclusion.But today i had a mild UTI ...but it subsided.

Thanks any way will keep you posted on mine..and friends like you are always there where i can count on.Thanks once again.

Regards,

John

• Posted

Keep us posted.  Drink alot of water to flush it out.  Let us know  Ken
    • Posted

Agree Ken. I just came from my urologist today and he said men needed to drink more water to flush their bladder. For what ever reason, UTI's lurk, waiting for the right environment to grow. By flushing the Kidneys>bladder and urethra, the UTI risk was greatly reduced.

Geoff

• Posted

Yes.  Only had a few over the last year but I use to get 7 to 8 a year.  2014 had sepsis  Almost died  Take care  Ken.  If you don't want to just drink water.  Put a litter lemon juice in it   

• Posted

Yes Ken, my wife went out and got some limes to try and 'encourage' me a little(lot) more.

• Posted

That is great.  Sometimes you get tired of just plain water.  Good luck my friend  Ken
  • Posted

I am in total agreement with Geoff and Ken.  Take it slow and above all educate yourself about PSA, prostate and options.  There is allot of information out there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.