Prostate Arterial Embolization (PAE

Posted , 13 users are following.

The solution to  Enlarged Prostate could be PAE.

Just about 4 weeks ago, I had the procedure done. Up till now, it seems things are going very well. My condition had improved.

I love to share my experience with other People like me. .Ask your question if you are planning to know more about PAE.

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks.   Do you know how much radiation was involved in the scans leading up to the procedure?  I assume it was CT.   or was it just an MRI?

Prior to the procedure, were you needing to catheterize.  Were you on meds?   Ddo you remember you IPSS score and the resulting improvement?

• Posted

Hi Arlington,

I did not have cathetera before the procedure. but the wee was becoming unbearable. It was a CT scan I had before the procedure, this was to map out route of the procedure.It is exactly 5 weeks ago that I had it done. It might too early to percentage the improvement but I am having  an  "A" grade improvement.

• Posted

I'm glad you're having good results.  Thanks a lot for the info.
  • Posted

Hey guys just wanted to see if anybody else had experienced either a prostate infection, or pain in the prostate after their PAE.

I had mine done Jan 26 2016 by Dr Isaacson so fairly recent.

about 10 days after I noticed what felt like a prostate infection coming on so I contacted Dr Isaacson and told him what I thought was happening and he said a UTI was not uncommon. So He called me in a script for 10 days of Cipro. 

I am now on day 9 of the Cipro, and i have some pain in the prostate itself, and almost constant pressure. 

I do have a history of prostatits, which is one of the reasons I opted for the PAE.

I was just wondering if that might be a normal reaction of the prostate being deprived of its blood supply.

I have emailed Dr Isaacson, but have not gotten a reply yet. Just curious if anyone else had anything similar.

Also just to let everybody know so far it appears BCBS of TN is gonna cover mine. They preapproved everything and so far have already paid the hospital portion. So there is hope that insurance will start recognizing the benefit and cost savings to them.

thanks

• Posted

That is longer than I had significant pain from mine. I would suggest that you message (IM) Dr Isaacson again if you have not heard from him already. He usually gets back to you in a few hours. Let us know how it's going.

Neal

• Posted

Thanks Neal, he got back to me last night. He said to just monitor it. I did a prostate massage last night and a huge amount of fluid came out. I thought that would help some, nut not much better this morning.
    • Posted

Well, he's a great doctor. If he didn't recommend the massage, I would think twice about doing it. Remember that your prostate is recovering from an "injury ". If you had severely cut your finger, you might not think it wise to massage it.

Neal

• Posted

Hey Neal, i just got home from seeing my Regular Doc, and turns out I had a  major prostate infection. My Doc said it was the worst he had ever seen.  He gave me a shot today and I gotta go back for another in the morning. And definitely no massage as it could dislodge the infection into my blood stream. He was very concerned thst it was this bad while taking the Cipro.

thanks

• Posted

It's great that you're getting this sorted out!

You might want to tell Dr. Isaacson about this if you haven't already. It might be that your prostate had trouble fighting the infection, and the Cipro was less effective, because of the now "impaired" blood flow to your prostate. It may be important for him to know about that for his research.

Anyway, I'm glad you are on the mend.

Neal

• Posted

Good morning Neal, feeeling much better this morning after the injection. And you are correct in your thinking, my regular Dr said the same thing. He said that had to be part of the reason the Cipro did not work. Apparently the prostate is really hard to get antibiotics inside even when the prostate has good blood flow.

So all of us who have had this done maybe should keep this in mind if any of us get infections in the prostate.

i emailed Dr Isaacson last night and told him what was going on. And he felt really bad that it happened, but its not his fault. Most likely I had the beginning of an infection prior to the procedure, and that just set it off.

But I guess this is one disadvantage to your surgeon being 6 hours away lol.

Alls well,thst ends well .

You might spread the word to the other guys who have had it done, to really watch if they happen to get sn infection .

thanks

• Posted

Hi, here is my experience on PAE at UNC. Dr Isaacson is excellent. My PAE was done last Tuesday through wrist, process is painless. Right after surgery, I went to bathroom without problem. Unfortunately, I didn't take anti-inflammation medicine right away and had issue with urinate three days later. Had to put on a Catheter on Friday. Now, 5 days later, the catheter is out and I can do any sports . No more problem going to bathroom. Felt a littlet bit improvement.  I will keep posting here on  how my condition is moving along. Thanks for this forum, it is here I got many informiaton and helped me to make decision to perform this sergury, hopefully myfeedback can help other people as well.
    • Posted

Hi luo61644,

Nice to hear that you are doing great.. Most of us made that mistake of forgetting a slight side effect of cutting off food from a part of the body. When I had mine done I thought that was the end because I felt great  untill I got home 2 days after the procedure that the prostate started to feel the shortage of blood supply. That led to an inflamation of the prostate- the result- complete blockage of the urine passage.that again took me back to the hostipal for drainage. our story is similar. I am now in the 7th month. Am still doing fine.

Advise to all.-(1) Never allow the bladder to be full before going to the toilet. any slight feeling of urine , no matter how small, go to empty it. you will start to enjoy your life.(2) Sex is another part that helps. After each sex, the passage is more open thereby allowing free urination. For this you need an understanding wife or partner .try this and feed me back

Hope PAE works for you. For me its 90% success

Good luck

mathy71633

• Posted

Hey Mathy glad to hear I am not the only one having trouble. I developed a major prostate infection, and they are having trouble treating it because of the reduced blood flow. So far I have had 2 injections of Rocephyn 10 days of Cipro, and on 4th day of Doxycyclene. Even after all that I still feel like I have a blockage, and an infection.

I had my procedure on Jan 26 of this year.

Did they give you anything at the hospital?

• Posted

Hi joe74832

Yes I was given 4types of antibiotics that I took for 2 weeks to prevrnt any infection setting in. Since then I have been fine.

Hope you are ok too.

• Posted

Wow 4 types, do you know what they gave you? Im pretty sure my Doc is not treating mine aggresively enough.

thanks for the help, and glad yours cleared up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.