Prostate artery embolistation

Posted , 10 users are following.

Prostate artery Embolisation, plastic beads to shut of blood supply to prostate NHS Uk is going to offer procedure ,hopefully shrink prostate , anyone had it done ! 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have, there is a thread on here collating all the experiences, do a search.
  • Posted

I thought they were banning plastic beads!  I had no idea they were used in operations like this.  Maybe it'll work - I'm sure someone will come along and share their experience with you soon. Meanwhile, have you searched for information about it?  Good luck!

• Posted

already being done at guys hospital nhs says they are going to roll it out all over the country ,

• Posted

The beads will stay in the body and not be expelled into the sewage system. One person reported that some of the beads in his procedure were put into the wrong veins/arteries.

The procedure is quite well documented and is now approved by NICE. Initially NICE complained that they had not been given results of trials by the developers. 

• Posted

Wouldn't the plastic beads act like a blood clot and find it's way elsewhere?

• Posted

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fifty-to-a-hundred-pae-centres-to-be-opened-in-the-uk-over-the-next-few-years-after-recent-trials-653309

It will be a long time before the centers are set up and the radiologists  trained for the procedure. Going in through the femoral artery sounds as if needed to be done by a person with different skills. In itself could surely cause problems with clots forming etc.

• Posted

They can use the arteries in your wrist to do the PAE procedure. This was what I choose instead of the femoral artery. Have to be tested to see that both arteries to the hand are working properly which is very simply. They use one artery for the procedure while the other artery works to have full blood flow tothe hand. 
    • Posted

The femoral artery is closer to the area they want.

I've had angiograms from groin and wrist and the femoral artery one was much quicker

• Posted

yes the femoral artery is much closer to the prostate, but one has to be real careful with the femoral artery since if it opens up it can cause real damage. I know several individuals that almost died when it ruptured after a procedure. Yes the advantage of being closer to the prostate reduces the time of the procedure and causes a little less trauma to the artery. It is a choice one can make in some hospitals but not others, I understand that most do not allow this option.

• Posted

I don't know which option is most popular with PAE but the wrist seems more used for angiograms now. Last year I had an Amplatzer Amulet inserted into my left atrial appendage via my femoral artery without any problems. 

• Posted

Yes, worked for me.  Mine done at Inova Hospital in Alexandria, Virginia by Dr. Sterling.  It was done 6 months ago.
    • Posted

What was the size of your prostate? Did you have a median lobe?

Ever have bladder stones?

How are your symptoms now?

• Posted

My prostate was about three times normal size.  YES, I had bladder stones which caused hematuria.  I had them removed about a month before my procedure.  This was done a the VA but the VA does not do PAE so I had it done at Inova Hospital.  As far as "Medial Lobe".  I researched this subject and found a link that compared "Lobes" to "Zones".  I would have to go back through my post on this forum to find it.  You and do a search on my Posts to find it.  I know there is at least one famous IR who places less emphasis on this than some others. I believe he is in North Carolina.  I was told that I had "Text Book" anatomy of my prostate arteries and perhaps this has relevance as to success.  Mine were not all kinked etc so it was easy to get to both arteries with one puncture.  My symptoms now are hardly noticeable.  I often get up only once during the night and most times not at all.

• Posted

I sent my 3TMRI to Dr. Isaacson in North Carolina in Nov. He reviewed it and email me that he could reduce my prostate much further. I ask him directly about the medium lobe since mine is 37. He stated it was not a problem. I still wonder since I have heard a lot of stories on here that would indicate that is not the case. Wish there was some research on this issue. Hate to spend all that money and not reduce the medium lobe which is the one that is protruding into my bladder and causing some problems at this point.

• Posted

The "Middle Lobe" controversy has gained a lot of traction.  IMHO, It may be more hype than science.  You have sent your MRI to one who is a leader in the field.  Look at it this way; IF it does not work, you still have other options.  FLA "May" be more precise - if you have the money to spend on the procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.