Prostate/Bladder Issues having Button TURP in a few days

Posted , 8 users are following.

I went to my doctor the beginning of May because i had bladder/prostate pain. He gave me meds. The next night i ended up in ER. They put a CATH in.

I went to a Urologist next day who added another med & said leave CATH in a week. I got it out a week later and was peeing better. 2 days later i passed a stone. The urologist ordered a CT. A few days later he called & said it looked normal, i said i was in pain He said wait it out.

After 3 more days of pain i took a copy of CT to another urologist. He said it wasn't a normal CT. He showed me some stones & said all of them weren't going to come out on own. He scheduled surgery for 7 weeks out.

A few days later i passed more stones. I called & they said come in for MRI, after results came i he moved up my surgery by 5 week. I went in for pre-op lab work last week. They called & said i have infection & started me on 10 days of antibiotics. I've lived with pelvic/bladder pain for over a month now.

I had a TURP in 2004, and 2010. This time he said im going to have a Plasma Button TURP. He said I will go home same day and get Catheter out next morning. If I can pee it will stay out. I saw a 2 year old discussion on this site. Can anyone who has had one recently tell me what to expect? THANKS VERY MUCH !

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had a TURP in February. You can search for my exhaustive coverage titled "my turp part 1". My uro does what I believe is pretty common these days: he starts with a bi-polar loop electrode because it's faster (FWIW, I had a large median lobe protruding into the bladder). After most of the material has been removed, he switched to a plasma button to smooth the surface. The procedure ended about 3 p.m. and I was on continuous bladder irrigation until 8:30 a.m. the next morning (I stayed overnight in the hospital). At 8:30 they shut off the irrigation, instilled 300cc of saline into my bladder and removed the catheter. About 12:30 after I had peed a 2 or 3 times, they sent me home. The first 3 or 4 days were uncomfortable but not really painful (AZO helped with the burning). I had the normal frequency/urgency issues but they settled down within a week.

Now, 3+ months out pretty much all my BPH problems have disappeared. My stream is strong (not 30 year old strong but much stronger then pre-surgery), I'm getting up usually only once a night (was 2 or 3 times), my bladder capacity before I feel the urge to go has doubled. I stopped doxazosin immediately and recently was able to stop my bladder spasm medication I've been on for 20 years.

I am 100% satisfied with the outcome.

• Posted

I think a button TURP is a bipolar TURP. If so, I had one last July in uk. I stayed in overnight and had the catheter out next day. I had some burning when urinating for a couple of days. I needed to be very close to toilet particularly for first day or so. There was some blood at start of urinating which lasted nearly 4 weeks but no major blood loss. I got a sudden onset of frequent need to urinate after about 2 weeks which was cured almost immediately with trimethoprim (the doc gave me some of these when I was discharged just in case). I took it fairly easy for a couple of months and didn't ride a bike again for three months. Other than that I didn't have any problem and all my symptoms were completely cured.

Best wishes, Mike

• Posted

THANKS for info. They're telling me if all goes well I'll go home same day. The last TURP wasn't a Plasma/Button & I stayed over night.

I'll do a search for more info. Any other thoughts will be appreciated. THANKS

• Posted

Hi RoCKER,

I'm in the UK and I had a TURP February 11th 2019 and after 4 months am fine. My flow is around three times faster than before the procedure, I no longer get frequent urges to pee and I'm only up twice a night rather than five or six times a night.

This is an extract from the letter dated 11 Feb the surgeon wrote to my GP concerning my TURP.

"This gentleman underwent the above procedure today under spinal anaesthetic in the lithotomy position with Gentamicin antibiotic prophylaxis wearing TED stockings and Flowtrons. TURP happened from the bladder neck to the verumontanum with care not to injure ureteric orifices or external ureteric sphincter. After haemostasis, a 22-French 3-way catheter was fitted and irrigation was done. We will review the patient in the OPD in 12 weeks to check on his symptoms."

I'm still waiting for the review!

• Posted

Rocker,

I hope you are doing well sir. Did you have your Button TURP, and can you let us know how you are doing?

Thanks,

Chuck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.