Prostate cancer 3b

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello!

A family member was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer and his first meeting was with the surgeon who conducted his biopsy. He was told it was stage 3, had spread to lymph nodes and was incurable. I think his Psa was 140. The surgeon spelled out such a horrific picture and basically gave my relative 'about 5 years to live'.

About a week later he got a call from the cancer team saying the oncologists had met to discuss his case and they wanted to send him for further tests. He is waiting for that test date to come through. Upon talking to a friend who is a cancer nurse, I have been told that this is a common occurence. Surgeons tend to work on the basis that if they cant cut a thing out, then a patient is 'doomed' but actually an oncology team will often have a different view and will genuinely know all the available treatments.

Has anyone had a similiar diagnosis and how are you doing? I don't want to be 'Dr Google' but everything I read online for stage 3 seems to say that the long term survival rates are still very good and that everyone responds differently. It seems to me that the surgeon has perhaps painted this picture without consultation with oncology colleagues. It is difficult to know what to think!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

1. You are correct about surgeons. If they can't cut, then many will say a patient is "doomed". After all, they do not see their job description as one of sending patients to radiotherapists.
    2. Everyone does respond differently;
    3. By all means, go see an oncologist and do not settle on one until you're happy with him or her;
    4. Telling a patient that he has 5 years is not only horrible and potentially incorrect, it is also misleading. Do they mean a patient will live well for just under 5 years and then pass away? Or do they mean that the side effects from treatment will be unpleasant from the start?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.