Prostate cancer

Posted , 6 users are following.

My husband had his prostate removed four years ago and the cancer had got out of the Capsule by 1 mm. Every blood test since has come back with a zero PSA reading however the last one has risen to 0. 02. The urologist has said they can sometimes be a fluctuation in the PSA and to wait six months for the next blood test.

Can anyone tell me if this is a common occurrence with the PSA levels fluctuating .

Also if there is no prostate where does the PSA level come from

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have no idea, but thank you for asking, as I'll be very interested in the answer!

• Posted

"PSA is very sensitive in detecting any recurrence of cancer. That's because only prostate cells make PSA -- so if it goes up after a radical prostatectomy, it means prostate cells are still present somewhere. For all intents and purposes, it means that a few cells escaped the prostate before it was removed, and now have grown to the point where they're producing enough PSA to be detected,

• Posted

Roger is correct. If the prostate is removed and PSA rises then it is highly possible that cancer has spread. Prostate cells outside the prostate are generating them.

I think your husband could do worse than have a whole body PSMA PET CT scan which will reveal any cancer above a certain size that can be photographed in an image.

If the cancer does not reveal itself on a PSMA scan, then it's realistic to assume that is too small to image  or that the cancer has spread microscopically from the prostate to a bone or elsewhere and continues to produce PSA. 

• Posted

Tanya, the psa level comes from cancer cells AND any kind of irritation . example would be a uti. My urologist would have zero concern for a .02 reading.he would call it a fluctuation in the sensitivity of the machine. Also, it is not unusual for people to get readings as high as .08 and then go down to .01. I know because I am one of the people that it happened to. Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.