Prostate cancer and polymialgia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in April afternoon seeing my gp complaining of pains all over my body. Since then I have been having hormone therapy and will begin radiotherapy soon but my pains are getting worse. I had a Gleason score t3a so not too aggressive and the mri scan showed nothing abnormal so I went back to my gp for further tests and he told me that I may have polymialgia. I find this too coincidental so I researched a bit and I read that there is a link between metastatic cancer and the symptoms of polymialgia so now I'm confused as to why I genuinely am in extreme pain at times? Is it a missed diagnosis or is it just coincidence the two illnesses were diagnosed within weeks?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You are raising questions that need to be addressed.  I am sure no one will admit to a missed diagnosis.  I am not a Dr. but I am sure there are scans to determine whether you have metastasized cancer.  I had a bone scan and a PET scan with Axumen which is specific to prostate cells.
  • Posted

I have PT although I had no symptoms , the possibility was shown with a regular blood test with a jump in PSA reading to 6.4. 

After the PSA test process I had to have an MRI to look for a lump, which may be cancer. Then a  Biopsy to test for cancer. It was found and was graded at 7 (or 4+3) which is moderate. Anything less than 7 is normally treated as a watch and wait with regular PSA tests. Mine will need treatment.

If you have nothing abnormal then why are you having radiation treatment? If I was you I would ensure that I actually have a possible cancer first, that needs treating!

I have not seen a connection with Polymialgia but what you have, pain all over the body, sounds like the symptoms that a relative has for it.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Dennis

I can only say that they told me the cancer was breaking through the walls of the prostate and so they could not be confident of removing it all with an operation. My original psa reading was 57 and I had two mri scans, one for the whole body and one for the pelvis.I also had a physical check and a biopsy like you

• Posted

i try to be philosophical about it. as younger people suffer "growing pains" due to bones and body growing, old people suffer growing pains in reverse. after a night's sleep (waking every hour or two), eventually i get pains in the pelvic area. whether they're from diverticulosis or pelvic bone mets, i not only don't know but don't want to know. enough to deal with the 11 other health issues i deal with. but we all must find our personal comfort zone of how much info we process. good luck and prayers with you.

rich in reno

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.