Prostate cancer and psa

Posted , 6 users are following.

My father diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer in dec 2017 . Doctor start hormone therapy with 2 zoladex ( 1st in January 2nd in march) and prescribed calutide tablet one a day.

Psa in January 228 ( high due to turp)

Psa in april 0.987

Psa in August 2.93

Psa in November 11.3

I am worried about his rising psa

Can calutide with zoladex is more effective

Does hormone therapy is failing

I am very worried any one can help in this regards

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi An,

I was diagnosed when I was 64 years old some 14 years ago in Jan 2005. I was given Zoladex as an inplant in the abdomen. The inplant was renewed every 3 months. After the first 3 months of Zoladex I underwent 8 weeks of radio therapy. The RT was completed in june 2005 and I came off Zoladex in Sept 2005. I remained with low PSA for getting on for 8 years but my PSA then began to rise again and I was again given an inplant of Zoladex.

When initially diagnosed my PSA was 11.0 and my Gleason number was 9.0 To make sure your father gets the correct amount of Zoladex,he should in my opinion be on the Zoladex inplant which should bring his PSA down very quickly.

If your father does not wish to question the doctor might I suggest you ask his oncologist to consider the inplant ASAP.

I am concerned for my 3 sons so I am goading them into having their PSA checked .PSA may not be the be-all and end-all but it is a very good indicator.

I don't know if any of this is of any help to you but if you want anymore information I will gladly offer it.

good Luck

G

• Posted

Now this month he prescribed zoladex 3.6 + casodex

And said to repeat psa after one month . Did it work now in your opinion?

• Posted

Hi Ann,

I am sorry I do not have Whatsapp. I communicate almost entirely with e-mail nowadays.

As I understand it the Zoladex is there to suppress the Testisterone produced in the prostate. The cancer cells thrive on the Testosterone, so reducing its production helps to keep the cancer at bay. This is probably an over simplified explanation of the mechanism but I hope it gives you some sollace. Recently i was on Zoladex 10.6 which was given to me every three months for 9 months. when it began my PSA was 20 but after 3 months it was 0.2 and it remained there for the rest of the 9 month period. Please keep in touch i would like to know how your father gets on.

cheers

G

• Posted

Hi An1947 its not that the hormone therapy stops working it's the cancer cells begin to mutate and are immune to the hormone therapy I'm 58 I haven't received that kind of hormone therapy mine was Zytiga and prednisone along with the lupron shot a doctor sat me down and was so honest it shocked me because he did not with hold anything I've had my cancer for 15 years I didn't show any up until May 6 2016 as my cancer cells mutated the hormone therapy not work my PSA right as we speak is 270 I had s cat scan done Monday the 26 Nov. I thank our father above that it didn't reveal any cancer in my organs it's just in my bones now I am headed to get radium-223 I read up on it it's only supposed to give me another 4 months added to my life but then again it could be longer life I live once the cancer mutates there's one last step but I'm not sure what that is my life and I will pray for you and your father what we found out is just to make happy memories count God bless you and your dad

• Posted

I assume in Jan and Feb he was given Zolodex 3.6mg.

What I don't understand is why he was stopped after 2 mths.

Were you told why only 2 mths?

Were you told why monthly? I receive Zoladex every three months 10.8mg (that is 3.6 mg x 3 ) under the skin (implant) and have had 4 shots so far (12 mths). It is so much more pleasant to get the shots every three months.

• Posted

I assume in Jan and Feb he was given Zolodex 3.6mg.

What I don't understand is why he was stopped after 2 mths.

Were you told why only 2 mths?

Were you told why monthly? I receive Zoladex every three months 10.8mg (that is 3.6 mg x 3 ) under the skin (implant) and have had 4 shots so far (12 mths). It is so much more pleasant to get the shots every three months.

• Posted

I dont know why he stopped zoladex . I think he is testing casodex along . Now this month he prescribed zoladex 3.6 and casodex . And said if psa not fall we should move to chemotherapy . Is chemotherapy safe he is 65 years old?

Will casodex+zoladex work now to reduce psa ??

• Posted

1. You are right to be concerned about rising PSA.
      2. Is his metastasis confined to the pelvis or is it widespread?
      3. Did your Dad have surgery or radiation?
      4. It is best for him to have multiple therapies at the same time. For instance Radiation + hormone therapy (eg Zolodex and Casodex) at the same time;
      5. I have had surgery, radiation (two types), hormone therapy (including zolodex for 1 year), but not chemo. So I cannot comment on chemo.
  • Posted

Hi How old is your dad? I'm 89 and my PSA is 16.2 My urologist wants to do a a biopsy.

At 89 if if i have cancer my PCP said it's a slow growing cancer,my decision is up to me.So i'm doing nothing.Has his PSA gone up after Turp?

• Posted

I agree. At 89 it'll take quite a while assuming it is a slow growing cancer to do you damage.

It is pointless and possibly harmful to test and treat a slow growing cancer especially if one is >75 yo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.