Prostate Cancer discovered during TURP

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just had a TURP done a week ago. They had the tissue examined and it came back positive for prostate cancer. Two months ago they did a prostate biopsy and it came back negative. Good thing I asked him to have it checked. He had originally planned to vaporize it. Not sure what the Doc plans to do now. Luckily it is the less aggressive cancer. The results put it in "Group 2; 3+4".

The stats say the  normal Ultra sound guided biopsy is on 65% accurate and that 35% of prostate cancers are actually found during TURP.  Both my dad and two of his younger brothers had prostate cancer. That is why I have read up on it. Glad I did. Hopefully he will have a high intensity MRI done to help pinpoint the extent of the cancer. 

Also TURP less than successful. Still can't pee as good as I could before the TURP but it is slowly increasing. Pain mostly gone.

Any one out there had similar results (cancer found during TURP) and what path did the doc take?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Old grape,  Sorry to learn you have joined the club !!    I have had a Trus and then the next year a template biopsy.  Not sure which one you had but the template is generally more reliable as more samples are taken .  However , it is always possible to miss the cancer even if a Mapping MRI is done prior to the biopsy 

What is your age as that will influence what your urologist decides next .   A Gleason of 3+4 would normally indicate in younger men a need to take some form of positive action although in a much older man the decision could be to take the active surveillance route 

good luck whatever you decide and my advice is to take at least two opinions 

• Posted

Oldgrape,

same happened to me in June of 2016. Had TURP and Ca was found. It was Gleson 6. In August had TRUS biopsy which confirmed cancer but higher Gleson 4+3.

In November of 2016, I had RARP and thankfully, my Gleson was downgraded to 3+4 but cancer was present in both lobes pT2c.

From my own experience TURP and RP don’t go along well in erectile function recovery.

For me at 17+ months post RP, no signs from my penis waking up from coma. 

I did extensive and expensive penile rehab program but with no sign of improvement.

i am still at ground zero where I was after waking up from surgery.

Another problem, I lost 2+ inches of length of my penis while being comatose for 17+ months.

All of This happens at age of 51.

MK

• Posted

I had a BPH, and no symptom of cancer (negative DRE, and low PSA).

I had HoLEP, done 11 month ago, and cancer Gleeson 7 was found.

?I was recommended prostatectomy or radiation, both I didn't want to rush into.

?I went for 3T MRI, and there was no visible cancer. 

So either the HoLEP got the cancer, or it is not detectable by all, DRE, PSA and MRI. I was never offered biopsy.

I am waiting for the new improved PSA test coming in about 2 years.

Any news on it?

?After reading the misery people go through, I have decided to do nothing.

?My BPH had been resolved, and everything works well. No incontinence, or impotence. Only retro ejaculation, which is far lesser deal than people make out of it.

• Posted

Very wise Bruno59.  So many surgeries are done without any need .   My first urologist recommended surgery but all the others I have consulted since said not necessary at this stage.  Am on Active Surveillance 

cheers Keith 

• Posted

Hi. My case has a lot of similarities with yours. I've been suffering from enlarged prostate and recurring urine infections for the last 20 years. I had a prostate biopsy in 2011 with a negative result. In January this year I had a TURP and the biopsy result was positive. The doctor said they found cancer cells in the tissues they sent to the lab. My Gleason score was same as yours. After the Turp I had another urine infection for about a month. Then I had another targeted biopsy with a negative result. The doctors had a meeting and there were different opinions about my situation. Two werw against the removal of the rest of my prostate and 3 were in favour of it to be removed. The doctor said to wait 6 months to give time to my prostate to heal and settle and after that time I will have an MRI scan and blood tests. Depending on the results I could probably have a robotic surgery with nerve sparing to remove the rest of the prostate. Sorry to hear you're also going through this. I just can suggest to keep a positive attitude, try to improve your lifestyle and diet. That's what I've been doing. A lot of prayers also help. Wishing all the best. I'll keep you posted with my situation.

• Posted

Hi. My case has a lot of similarities with yours. I've been suffering from enlarged prostate and recurring urine infections for the last 10 years. I had a prostate biopsy in 2011 with a negative result. In January this year I had a TURP and the biopsy result was positive. The doctor said they found cancer cells in the tissues they sent to the lab. My Gleason score was same as yours. After the Turp I had another urine infection for about a month. Then I had another targeted biopsy with a negative result. The doctors had a meeting and there were different opinions about my situation. Two werw against the removal of the rest of my prostate and 3 were in favour of it to be removed. The doctor said to wait 6 months to give time to my prostate to heal and settle and after that time I will have an MRI scan and blood tests. Depending on the results I could probably have a robotic surgery with nerve sparing to remove the rest of the prostate. Sorry to hear you're also going through this. I just can suggest to keep a positive attitude, try to improve your lifestyle and diet. That's what I've been doing. A lot of prayers also help. Wishing all the best. I'll keep you posted with my situation.

• Posted

Howdy all and thanks for the responses and well wishes. I'm 61 and I am concerned about the side affects of radiation or the complete removal of the prostate. My dad had his removed way back in 1992 and he never regained control. I'm scheduled for an MRI in mid May. That will give the prostate some time to heal a bit. When they did the TRUS the urologist only took 4 samples and only in the outer edges where cancer "normally" occurs. The TURP samples were from the central zone where he did not biopsy during the TRUS. I am waiting on the results of the MRI to hopefully get a better idea of the size of the tumor/cancer. At that point the urologist may take some biopsies there but he's a little uncertain at this point. The wife has the mindset of not waiting any longer than we need to in order to try and get rid of the cancer. Watchful waiting to me is a little like just kicking the can down the road a ways. You never know if that can will stay shiny, get rusty, or just get smashed. smile  Pca in the central zone, even if not very aggressive, still has more of a chance to get out of the prostate than in the outer area due to the seminal vessels. I have seen some comments about "RP". Is that "Radical Prostatectomy"?

?So we will wait on the MRI to hopefully get more details. Luckily the TURP results have dramatically improved in the last couple of days. Not even any pain any more. So definitely glad I had the TURP for both reasons. I want wish all of you success on your journey with our mutual problem. More to follow in a few weeks...............

• Posted

Howdy All,

So here is the latest update. I hade the 3T MRI on the 15th of May. The results were finally posted on the patient portal where I can see them. Here's what they found.

1.  Status post TURP.  3 peripheral zone lesions are identified.  These are all at the margins of the TURP cavity and consistent with the provided history.

Lesion 1: Right mid PZ at the margin of the TURP cavity, 8 mm PI-RADS: 4

Lesion 2: Right base PZ at the margin of the TURP cavity, 6 mm PI-RADS: 3

Lesion 3: Left base at the margin of the TURP cavity, 8 mm PI-RADS: 4

2.  No evidence of extra prostatic disease.

My urologist has been on vacation and he comes back Monday so I expect a call (I left a message Friday for him). I'm definitely glad that the MRI showed nothing outside the prostate. I not sure if they will want to do another biopsy or not at this point. I kind of feel they should so they can validate the true Gleason Score so I have better info to make the decision on which route to go, active surveillance or radiation of some form. I am not inclined for a complete radical prostatectomy. I will request the MRI guided biopsy. No more shooting in the dark and hoping they hit it. I'm dealing with military hospital clinic so may be an uphill battle. More to follow once I talk to my Urologist.

• Posted

Yes, same was with me. Went for TURP in June 2016 and was incidentally diagnosed with prostate Ca Gleson 6. In August 2016 had a TRUS biopsy and cancer was confirmed but with higher Gleson 4+3 percentage wise it was 55% of 4. Had RARP in November 2016 and thankfully my Gleson was downgraded to 3+4 with still 40% of 4.

This happened to me T age of 51 without family history of prostate Ca and with low PSA of 1.3

MK

• Posted

Just saw this as I was diagnosed Gleason 6 after Turp.

51 fit, no hisotry, healthy

how are you doing

• Posted

I'm not a doctor, but I can provide some general information. Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) is a surgical procedure often used to treat urinary symptoms caused by an enlarged prostate, a condition called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). During a TURP, the surgeon removes excess prostate tissue that is obstructing the flow of urine.

While TURP is primarily performed for BPH, it is possible for prostate cancer to be discovered incidentally during the procedure. The surgeon may detect abnormalities in the prostate tissue or observe suspicious findings, such as nodules or irregularities. In such cases, the surgeon may take tissue samples (biopsies) for further evaluation.

If prostate cancer is detected during a TURP, further testing and evaluation will be necessary to determine the extent and aggressiveness of the cancer. Additional biopsies, imaging studies, and laboratory tests may be conducted to stage the cancer and determine the appropriate treatment approach.

The treatment options for prostate cancer can vary depending on factors such as the stage of the cancer, the aggressiveness of the tumor, the patient's overall health, and personal preferences. Treatment options may include active surveillance (regular monitoring), surgery, radiation therapy, hormone therapy, or a combination of these approaches.

It's important for individuals diagnosed with prostate cancer during a TURP to consult with a qualified healthcare professional, such as a urologist or oncologist, who can provide personalized advice and guidance based on their specific situation.

Remember, this information is general, and it's crucial to seek medical advice from a healthcare professional for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment recommendations based on individual circumstances.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.