Prostate Cancer / Prostatitis / Knee pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have Prostate Cancer & Prostatitis and over the last couple of days I have had 3 occasions when I have lost all strength in my left knee for about an hour and have struggled to walk and had to sit down. After resting for about an hour I have got up and walked about perfectly. Slightly tender at top of my calf.  Any guidance anyone please ?.

David

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I hope you seek treatment and recover from your cancer soon....I have a curvature of my spine which causes lower back and leg pain when I walk or stand for more than a few minutes..I, too, have to sit down and rest...It seems you may have a nerve problem...GOOD LUCK!...
  • Posted

I agree with Randy.  Sounds like a nerve problem.  From what you have said I suggest you check in with your doc's and let them check this out.   Some simple tests may give you the answer as to what is causing it and how to treat it.   IMO, ignoring it is not a good idea. 

• Posted

What treatment are you receiving for your prostate cancer? has it been scored with a Gleeson and have you had a mpMRI/biopsy/bone scan to see the extent of the cancer. When you get any unexplained issues, get them checked very well, as lots of drug options to slow things up while other optin explored.

Geoff

• Posted

Thanks for your replies. Am on active surveillance as Gleason 3+4 and currently PSA 6. Biopsies twice was 1 in 16 each time.  It is the Prostatitis causing me problems now and got a Prostate scan tomorrow and after that a Cystoscopy. Have made appointment with the Dr for next Monday, so fingers crossed.  Makes me think nerve pain could be stemming from Prostate.
  • Posted

When you say you are going for a scan tomorrow, do you mean MRI or Ultrasound. Do you have any history for your PSA level changes?

Geoff

• Posted

Hi Geoff,   It is an MRI Prostate & Pelvis scan. My PSA stayed at 9 / 10 for nearly 15 years and went down to 6 after my TURP. Have had numerous MRI scans including the newer 3 x MRI before I had my last biopsy, but they said that was not conclusive enough. Also got an appointment with the Pain clinic on 16 September which was booked in mid March so hoping may get better pain relief while they decide what to do. Leg is a new problem.

David

• Posted

Hi David, Seems you have had an elevated PSA for years, similar to me. I think the prostate with BPH and or prostatitus is in a constant state of stress and puts out more PSA. I guess for us, a rise in PSA may not mean PCa on the move, but more the prostate BPH tissue is increasing and expanding, which puts out a higher % of PSA. 

I think a mpMRI on a 3T machine is the best, non invasive method for us. If or when this brings up a lesion, then we would target the lesion with a guided biopsy, and see what the dice throws for us. Just stabbing biopsy needles in the prostate in the hope it finds some thing is not very productive and constantly raises the risk of serious infection.

Geoff

• Posted

Hi Geoff,  It does make you wonder if any Urologist really knows the correct path to follow for each individual. In my mind I still wonder if my Prostrate had been removed in the early days would I have been spared the TURP and Prostatitis plus the possible side effects coming from removal would be no worse than I was with the results now following the TURP. Agree with you about biopsies and don't think most people are aware of what Sepsis does to you when it goes wrong.

David

• Posted

I have learnt that talking with various doctors, they have thier view on how your treatment should progress. When you bring up your view, it seems to be mostly discounted as not informed as theirs. However, your view may have been gleened from forums such as this with upto date information and opinions. I do think the doctors could be a bit(lot) more open and say from the outset, there are several ways to skin this cat, do YOU have a preference how you want to go forward.

Geoff

• Posted

Agree with you on this Geoff, and in reading forums like this, there are some good tips to learn.

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.