Prostate cancer risk????

Posted , 8 users are following.

For the past month or so I've been experiencing a slight burning sensation/pressure in my bladder area and more recently my urine stream isn't as heavy as it used to be. I feel like when I urinate, it isn't as forceful, it doesn't trickle out but I can definitely can tell it's different. Sometimes it doesn't all come out and when I tuck my penis back into my underwear, it's like a rush of urine comes out and goes down my thigh. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but I also have been having a weak feeling in both of my legs on and off, mainly my left one though. I feel like when I step down while walking that my foot feels weak as well. On the inside of my left thigh by my groin area, I have a light pink area on my skin that started out as a small pink solid circle but I thought it was jock itch, so I bought some spray and I thought it got better but it's now a bigger pink splotch than the circle it started out as. When I urinate, I don't feel pain in my urethra, but I do feel the burning sensation in my bladder. Also when I ejaculate, I can feel the same feeling but sometimes I can feel it into the left side of my groin/testicle area.

Could this be a sign of Prostate Cancer? I'm only 28 years old but here's a summary of my families health history:

On my dads side:

My Grandpa, his dad and all 3 of his brothers had prostate cancer, one actually died.

My Great Grandmother(Grandpa's Mom) had skin caner

On my moms side:

My Grandpa had testicular and stomach cancer(which he died from last year)

My Aunt also had stomach caner but they caught it fast enough

My Uncle has heart issues and colon cancer(he's not doing so hot, refused a triple bypass so he's not doing the greatest)

My grandmother had lung cancer and heart issues her whole life(she died in a car accident not from health issues)

I'm mainly concerned because the wonderful world of google lead me to believe that I might have cancer but the weakness in my leg would mean it spread to the spine already? I was at my doctor earlier this year because I have issues with going to the bathroom, like literally anything I eat send me to the bathrom either instantly or within 20 mins of consuming it, she thought I had IBS or Chrons but never fully diagnosed me yet. I asked her for a PSA test but she told me not to worry about the big C word with me being so young yet. I told her my family history so you'd think that would have sparked some concern that it as a possibility.

I have anxiety real bad so this is just making my depression go through the roof. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I should also mention that I do have a doctors appointment on 12/31, just wanted to get some thoughts on this so I don't go crazy thinking about what google tells me.

• Posted

With your history, definitely seek a 2nd opinion. I don't think age should have anything to do with getting a PSA test especially with family history as you explained. IF you have cancer, it's best to discover it early.

• Posted

Thanks!! I'm going to request a PSA test and if they give me any hassle over it, I'll just go elsewhere. Maybe I should just ask for a whole prostate exam!!! I don't want to think it is anything bad, but these issues don't seem to be getting any better and it's not normal.

• Posted

Your symptoms do not sound like cancer. But who knows?

What you need to so is see a urologist who will conduct

a flow test (to measure the stream of urine) and

perhaps a cystoscopy (to look into your bladder)

amongst other tests.

A PSA test cannot hurt, but the above two are more likely to identify the issues going on.

Good luck!

• Posted

Yes you're young . But you still have the right to find out what is wrong . Google is not the way to go . If your present doctor is not answering your questions sufficiently find another doctor . You have the right to seek for answers to your questions about your health. Second opinion third opinion. You may have a slightly enlarged prostate for whatever reason but don't let your anxiety rule your life. Your mind and stress can do amazing things including creating symptoms unrelated do the initial problem. Be vigilant and seek real doctors opinions and stay away from Google.

• Posted

Sounds like you have BPH, or benign prostatic hyperplasia. ... When you have BPH, your prostate is larger than usual, which squeezes the urethra. ... BPH isn’t prostate cancer and doesn’t make you more likely to get it. See your urologist so he can measure how many grams your prostate is. I had laser surgery to remove 1/3rd of my prostate which stopped my prostate from pushing on my urethra and now I urinate with a strong stream. Also the drug FLOMAX can help with your flow.

Good luck.

• Posted

I went to the doctor on 12/31/18 and she checked my prostate, which felt normal to her. I asked for the PSA test but she said that if I did have an infection down there, it would make my results inaccurate so I didn't get one. I was told if the problem persisted, that I would be referred to a Urologist so they can scope out my bladder. However, I do have a lump on my left testicle that I have to have examined via ultrasound next week. Fun stuff!

• Posted

All well and good, but you must cover yourself. Find a general practitioner or primary care doctor who will give you the pathology form to give blood for a PSA test.

Do this 2 weeks after the infection has gone.

Do it again in 3 mths time.

See if there is a difference in the two results.

• Posted

If insurance company lets you, get an MRI of the prostate and lumbar spine. It will take over an hour so don't be claustrophobic.

The MRI can see benign causes of you problem (prostatitis, spine disc disease, etc) as well as cancer and may ease your mind that you have no serious problems.

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your family history. I think, you should take 2nd opinion from another doctor.

Thanks.

• Posted

I forgot to post an update, but I had an ultrasound done on my testicles and they found out that I have epididymitis. They couldn't treat me with the normal medications they'd use since I'm allergic to Amoxicillin/Penicillin. I got a shot in each butt cheek then had to take a one time antibiotic. It went away for a few months, but I believe I have Chronic Epididymitis now. I'm having issues still where my pee doesn't all come out so I end up peeing on my leg a little when I'm done(almost every time I go). I occasionally get pain on the left side of my body behind the base of my penis and when I lean forward I can feel pressure. Back in 2014 I was seeing a guy and we had unprotected sex a few times but shortly after that I started getting a milky discharge from my penis and it felt like I was peeing out shards of glass. He told me when I confronted him that he had chlamydia but thought he was fully cured from his treatments. Also he told me that the doctors told him he didn't have an STD/STI at all but they either sent off his stuff or he got retested elsewhere and it came back positive. I went to the doctor and they tested me and I came back clean even though I had the discharge and pain! So they treated me for Chlamydia but the symptoms would come back at least twice a year since that happened. I'm wondering if I had some new form of an antibiotic resistant STI? It sucks because if this is the case, I probably do have chronic issues down there now ugh.

As for my prostate and bowel concerns, still working on that. I'm not as concerned about my prostate even though my family history is bad with it, I will keep an eye on it as I age. My main concerns are my bowels(HORRIBLE) and this Epididymitis.

• Posted

One things comes to mind. You say you're allergic to penicillin.

When did you last experience an allerguc reaction?

I ask because many of us think just because we were allergic to a drug once,

then we must still be allergic to it.

5 yrs ago I was allergic to penicillin and did not use it for 5 yrs. Then when it was offered

to me recently I agreed. Lo and behold whatever allergy I had 5 yrs ago has gone.

• Posted

I had it probably when I was 3 or 4 when I had my allergic reaction. My mom is also allergic to the same medications. I wonder if I'm not allergic anymore? I'm too scared to try though because of my mom's issue! :p

• Posted

I should say my Mom's issue with penicillin was that her airway started to close.

• Posted

I recall being told that up to 80% to 90% of patients who report a penicillin allergy are not truly allergic to the drug. Significantly, many people are falsely labeled as being penicillin allergic.

While most clinicians just accept a diagnosis of penicillin allergy without obtaining a detailed history of the reaction, it has been shown that patients with a vague history have also been found to have what is called "an IgE-mediated" allergy.

**The time elapsed since the last reaction is important, because penicillin-specific IgE antibodies decrease with time (approximately 80% of patients with IgE-mediated penicillin allergy have lost sensitivity after 10 years).

• Posted

This is called anaphylactic reaction to penicillin and is very rare. Maybe your Mom should see a doctor to find out what if anything can be done to get around this problem.

For instance he may say that Mom reacts badly if she has say 20 mg of penicillin (the dose is just an example), but Mom may not have any negative reaction if she takes 10 mg. And 10 mg of penicillin may be better than many times that dose of an alternative.

This is the type of inquiry worth following up with your doctor or Mom's doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.