Prostate infection treatment?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hey there I found out today that I have a prostate infection and infection in the seminal vesicles. I got levofloxacin antibiotics. Look in these pills up online I see nothing but bad news even fda warnings for the s saying no bad they are and others like ciprofloxacin. Is there any other ways of treating this??? Maybe a natural way? The side effects and from other people that have used these They are worse now and alot of them only took this for a week. They want me to take These for 3 months. I'm 30 years old and just want to get back to my normal self not be miserable for 40 more years. Please help if you've used this drug or have another solution

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

that seems like a long time to take cipro I would be careful. Get another opinion.
  • Posted

It’s a really tricky situation. I’ve been there. If you don’t take antibiotics and this thing lingers you can be married to prostate infections for life....and it’s miserable. Ya see that bacteria gets real comfortable and can calcify and an acute infection can turn chronic. I hate antibiotics but if this is your first go round my instinct is to take them.  3 minus is a long time but if you tolerate them it’s not a big deal. You will know right away. Most people can tolerate cipro...you only hear from everyone else. Do NOT play with this. I have 25 years of chronic prostatitis because I neglected it early on. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Sorry that you are having a problem in your young age.  Now you have to take a antibiotic because you have to get ride of the infection.  Most of the antibiotic have side effect but not everyone get them.  You just have to be aware of what is going on day to day.  But I have never heard of the one he want you to take.  Maybe one of the other guy's on here has.  You have a bacterial infection and need to take something quick you need your prostate and seminal vesicles.  I can feel your pain I had a prostate infection in December of 2015.  The way I found out I had a orgasm that was way more painful then pleasure.  God did it hurt.  The urine confirmed I had a infection.  He put me on Ciprofloxacin 1000 2X a day for 30 day.  It took care of the problem and I did not get any of the side effects. Tell him you have never heard of the levofloxacin and you have had friends that have been on Ciprofloxacin and did not get any of the side effects.  You have to do something fast.  Please take care of your self.  Your going to need that stuff if you are planning on having and kids.  God Bless and good luck  Ken  

• Posted

ask your doc or uro about trimathorprim try a six week course of these first before anything related to cypro thats horrible iv taken it..only lasted a week due to horrible side affects I'm still suffering today 6 months on but am coping using tasolosin altho mine is chronic non bacterial prostatitis I believe the result of untreated prostste infection... hope this helps pal..

• Posted

I guess you are in the US?  Here in the UK there are two antibiotics recommended for prostatitis, Ciprofloxacin or Trimethoprim.  Cipro is very closely related to Levofloxacin and there is also Ofloxacin and Moxifloxacin, these are the fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics.  Cipro is the first drug listed in the UK and this is what most doctors would prescribe but the official guidelines list Trimethoprim as the alternative if you are unable to take a fluoroquinolone (the US know it as Bactrim or Septra).

Definitely ask to take Bactrim instead of the Levofloxacin.  As Waffallo Bill suggests, look up floxing.  The more pills you take of Levo the more your chances of being floxed increase.  Some people can take several courses but for many it begins after the first two or three.  It can start with just a mild ache in the leg which most people ignore and which stops when they stop taking the pills  (so they don't realise it's even started).  Then next time they get prescribed a course the first pill may kick it off.  Your prescription of 3 months sound both excessive and highly dangerous.  In the UK they would at least see how the infection is after one month.

In my opinion there is no safe dose of any fluoroquinolone because you can't tell what damage it's doing until it's too late.  Some lucky floxed people recover after a year while others (often they've taken several courses or a very long course e.g. 3 months) never recover.  They are left permanently disabled - and in pain - which is what the FDA warning is referring to. 

You need to protect yourself both from the prostatitis and this terrible drug.  Go back to your doctor and explain why you are not comfortable with taking it.  Even if you don't feel any side effects it will be busily damaging your cells by creating oxidative stress (similar to heavy smoking damage), disrupting your mitochondria (you need these to literally produce your energy) and causing a host of other problems.  If your doctor laughs and says this isn't possible he is covering up his own ignorance and needs to study the full FDA report in detail.

Take a look at the fluoroquinolone antibiotic discussions on this website and you will find several useful links as well as lots of stories from people who have been affected - many of them young men like you who were treated with Cipro or one of the other names.

You do need to get treatment but you don't need to accept this treatment.  If the doctor insists, tell him you are allergic to it.  Take care!

• Posted

hi Justin I have used Ciprofloxin  for 1 week but the best antibiotic for mens UTI is Trimethoprim  I was on this for six weeks and it cleared up my UTI ,I have had Prostatitis 4 times in the last 19 yrs but I probably had my first experience with a prostate problem when I was 27 yrs old I am now  going on 74 I hope that you get better soon.
  • Posted

My Dr. diagnosed me with prostatitis in 2016 and first game me a round of what were called Sulphameth; that probably isn't the drug name.  It was two weeks of it and I didn't tolerate it well.  It also didn't work.  So then the Doc prescribed Cipro for 10 days and that seems to have got rid of it.  That infection has never come back.  My symptoms were burning when I pee, dark color, bad odor to it; also loss of appetite and stomach upset in the morning.  I was incontinent at night and had to wear a diaper during the day.  The acute urinary retention had been a condition for me for a long time but I was basicly unaware of the situation until the overflow incontinence started  I knew I was having to pee frequently and urgently, but neither I or my Dr. had figured out what was happening.  Before I could squeeze out maybe 60 ml I had to have about 400ml retained in my bladder and I beleive that's what caused the UTI or prostatitis.  So some of the symptoms I mentioned may have been a result of retaining all that urine (for example the morning sickness; when I had an ultrasound done on my bladder they said it was extended almost up to my navel)  I think my relief from all this has come from doing CIC.  I have to self-cath about 4 times a day and my incontinence disappeared as did my other symptoms.  I think the Cipro got rid of the infection but keeping my bladder drained is also keeping it away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.