Prostate Laser Surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm 60 and have had problems with my prostate years. Long story short. I was told to have the Rezum surgery two years ago. I had it and it hasn't helped at all. My prostate was measured at 50mg yesterday. I was told that I could do the TURP or laser surgery. I sure don't want the turp. So I have decided to have the Laser..... I THINK?????

Just wondering if anyone has had this done?? What were your side effects and how long was recovery?? Did you experience ED also???

THANKS FOR ANY INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Rezum Didn't work for me also. I'm planning on having the Holmium enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP).

• Posted

Hi. I've made posts previously about my HoLep. Mine was done in Cambridge by the real expert Mr Aho. It went perfectly. There was RE afterwards which I was warned about but as my prostatic fluid was near zero before it didn't matter and I'm in my 70s. There has been no damage whatsoever to my sexual capability or anything else in the 3 years following the op. My prostate was around 130gm so large. I think Green Light is often used for smaller prostates. It is essential, and I mean this, to use a competent and well trained uro. The HoLep is a long op and if you Google the web on the procedure it's amazing. Everything is done via the penis and strictures are possible but I was told that could be rectified? I had a Foley in for 1 day after the op and recovery was very quick.

• Posted

No current procedure is perfect. My Green Light Laser took 8 months for a bloody recovery. 3 years later I was involved in an auto accident and had retention for another 8 months. For the past 2 years I have been taking a  diuretic daily and am doing just fine. It's worth a try.

• Posted

Which country are you in and which laser procedure was suggested ? I had very successful GL in 2004 when it was 75 grms and Thulium/Holmium laser similar to HoLep when it regrew to 135 grms.in 2013

• Posted

Had the laser procedure done 3 weeks ago.  Immediately greater flow but still have strong burning sensation when urinating.  Medication not helping much. MD said some people recover in a week, some take several weeks.  Guess I'm in the latter category!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.