Prostate MRI. Know your options.

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hello. Just wanted to give a summary of my situation. I had a PSA of 1.9 in 2014. It had stayed in that range until around 2017. That is when I decided to have to have FLA done by Dr. K (with ok results, I am back on flomax doing pretty well). Fast forward to April of 2018: I went back to my URO and had a PSA of 3.5. Then in October of 2018 it went to 4.25. Due to the relatively quick increase, he suggested a prostate biopsy. I was never really concerned about the increasing PSA and cancer connection as I knew (and Dr. K confirmed) that any type of procedure can increase PSA levels). However, I felt like I needed to make sure. I eventually called his nurse to advise I was going to have a 3T MRI done before any type of invasive biopsy procedure. She told me that they can request the MRI for me and it would be covered by insurance. My first thought was why wasn't this the first suggestion by the doctor? I think we know the reason why.

The MRI came back negative and all is well.Please know your options and you should always consider the least invasive option first. Technology is a wonderful thing.

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The very first urologist I saw wanted to do a biopsy, in his office, based on a high PSA test. At the time I knew absolutely nothing about the prostate, but given how drastic the procedure sounded, I asked him if there was ANY kind of imaging test we could do beforehand, whether ultrasound, CT, or MRI. He said NO, absolutely and definitively.

I left, went home and googled it, and found out that he had just lied to my face. My first lesson in never trusting a urologist without doing research.

This was only 5 years ago, so prostate MRI's had already been around for a long time.

• Posted

I hope you've found a new urologist and had the MRI by now!

• Posted

Hello All

Yes you need to find a good Urologist that will do any test before a biopsy.

Speaking for myself. I would rather have a MRI instead of a needle biopsy. Had a 12 needle one years ago. It was painful and after very uncomfortable.

Have a great day....Ken

• Posted

If in doubt I suggest the MRI, ideally a 3T.

If reported on by an expert, and not a jack of all trades radiologist, such a MRI can indicate if a biopsy is needed and if so, then a MRI guided by ultrasound biospsy is a good option.

• Posted

Hey Barney

That is a very good suggestion. You would think a doctor would want to do a MRI first. Then go from there. The MRI would show the tumor. But it seams like they are doing it the other way and lying to the patients.

That is why it is good to know something before you see a doctor.

Have a great day.....Ken

• Posted

Ken you're right. Many docs are self centered and don't always do what is in the patient's best interests.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.