Prostate...MRI or Biopsy?

Posted , 19 users are following.

hello all...

If an MRI is the be all/end all in determining prostate cancer...why do I need a biopsy...???...why can't I just go right to the MRI...???

Background: 67 years old. My PSA was at 5.5. My urologist performed a cystoscopy; & said that everything was normal, but wanted to keep an eye on my PSA. It went up to 8.2, so he ordered a biopsy. He tells me that if the biopsy comes back clean, but my PSA remains high (or goes up)...then I will need an MRI.

So...why do I need to put myself thru such an invasive technique, if an MRI can fully determine prostate cancer. Biopsy side effects range from blood in the urine to not being able to urinate & a bunch of other scary things.

please help...thanx,

mark4man

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sometimes, paying out of pocket (if you can afford it) is worth it.

• Posted

I want to echo Steve07664.

A biopsy before a MRI=malpractice.

I suggest you do what I did:

1. Check if the PSA is rising quickly. You mentioned two PSA results. How long apart were they?;
    2. If the PSA is rising, have a MRI, ideally 3T but if unavailable, then 1.5T. The key is not the power of the MR machine, but the experience of the radiologist. I had a 1.5T because of my medical history, but I had an excellent radiologist to report on the images;
    3. The MRI will return with a PI-RADS score of 1 - 5 indicating the likelihood of a serious cancer;
    4. If it comes back with a PI-RADS score of 4 or 5 then go for a biopsy, but a guided one.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanx for all the intelligent replies...this thread (along w/ this forum) have allowed me to wrap my head around the issue. Found this quote in an article on this very topic, at cancerNETWORK:

'advances in prostate imaging over the past decade have led multiparametric MRI (MP-MRI) to be the preferred imaging modality for detecting areas suspicious for prostate cancer'

so then...is this the same at 3T MRI...???

thanx again,

(btw...have been hard at work attempting to find a urologist who will order a 3T MRI...presently waiting on a reply from my original urologist)

mark4man

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.