Prostate or Underactive bladder? At my whits end

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone I'm new here and was hoping for some advice.

I'm 40yo in Florida. At 38 I started having urination problems here and there, but didn't realize I was retaining. My family doctor had a MRI ordered which revealed a 1.5" bladder stone and sent me to a uro who broke it up in January 2015. In December he went in and removed four pieces that were too large to pass. He never seemed interested in helping me figure out what was causing my urination issues. He told me I'm "wide open".

In seeking a second opinion the receptionist let it slip that he diagnosed me with an enlarged prostate. The new doc works under the same umbrella and can see the notes from the first doc. I met with the new doc last week who did a scope in office and claimed my prostate looks normal and he thinks I either have a tight bladder neck or underactive bladder.

I don't know what to think at this point. Can they really tell of the prostate is obstructing just by looking at it? Wouldn't it seem better to find out how many grams it is exactly? He sent me home with caths on Thursday and I had to use one last night. I haven't urinated but dribbles today and I'm on my way home to cath now.

He ordered urodynamic testing which I've scheduled for next week.

I'm just so confused. How can my notes from the first doc say enlarged prostate and the second doc thinks it's something different?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I went to my family doctor yesterday who did a DRE and said my prostate does not feel normal, and gave me a 30 day cipro supply, and ordered a MRI of my prostate with and without contrast. I have that scheduled for next Friday. Today marks a week since I had the in-office cystoscope and I can hardly pee on my own. I cath now every four to five hours and get between 350-500cc.

I got a phone call from the uro office today and my urine culture came back normal flora but indicated 50k coloniation so the doc ordered 7 days of bactrim but told me to go ahead and finish the cipro before starting the bactrim.

• Posted

That's a lot of antibiotics. I avoid Cipro due the side effects. I'm a runner and one potential issue is tendon rupture. It's not common, but its not worth the risk for me.

It is good that he ordered an MRI, hopefully a 3T multi-parametric. There are a few interventional radiologists that specialize in prostate issues. If you are interested I can send you their names.

Good luck.

• Posted

He also ordered some PSA 4K thing I've never heard of. He mentioned my TRT could have something to do with it but I've only been on that since October and these problems started well before then.

• Posted

Sounds like he is working with you to figure out what's going on. Sometimes, its a process of elimination.

• Posted

Got my prostate MRI results back today. It is 29.6cc in size and no evidence of cancers. My primary doctor is taking me off seroquel immediately as it blocks the neurotransmitter aceytylcholine and has an anticholnergic effect on the blader (been on it since '07). My PSA is 1.4. I'm worried my bladder has been distended for so long it may be perm. damaged. He mentioned self-cath'ing which i'm doing every five hours, a drug called urecholine which stimulates the bladder, or an implant called interstim.

I will talk to my uro about all of this in a couple weeks.

• Posted

OK I just wanted to give everyone an update on my progess. My uro ordered a urodynamic study which showed I had adequate bladder pressure (in the 80s with a very strong urge and the urge came in around 450-500cc). At that 80 pressure I was only able to get out approximately 100cc despite my bladder nearly bursting (the nurse got 977cc in me and it was agony).

My urologist has no other explanation other than obstruction, and he even sought his partners opinion that my problem is obstruction. His recomendation is to do an incision of my prostate (it's 29.6 grams), which he said should relax my bladder neck, but may result in retrograde ejaculation, or may not everyone is different.

Have any of you ever had this incision? 

• Posted

Hi,

Would you update your progress ? Many may learn from it. Thanks. Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.