Prostate pill lowering my gfr

Posted , 3 users are following.

im a 54 year old male my doctor told me i had kidney disease, my gfr was 54 so i changed my diet and my gfr went back up to 88 but now im having prostate problems i was urinating every two hours at night so i was prescribed terazosin , ive been on it almost a year and now ( and im still urinating every two hours at night its not working) my gfr went down to 71 , does anyone know any alternatives to terazosin maybe herbal supplements , saw palmetto is suppose to hard on the kidneys any imput would be appreciated thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Ed! Did they do a prostate exam to confirm that your prostate is enlarge, or just assume because of symptoms and age that prostate is enlarged?

• Posted

hi melissa i assumed because of the symtoms , the only prostate check i had were my psa levels and the were normal

• Posted

So, if PSA was normal, and they didn't do any other test to confirm prostate was enlarged, why exactly were you prescribed the prostate medication? My point is, if it is causing you side effects you may want to discuss with your doctor whether you really need it, or if there is another alternative if you do need it. I would request they do a prostate exam, and possible other exams to see if urinary retention being caused by something else.

Since you already have kidney disease herbal medicines can be dangerous because they are not tested on people with kidney disease. Use with caution, and try to pin down the cause of the retention.

• Posted

So did you ask your doctor about not taking the medicine due to the side effects, and other ways to see why the retention is occurring?

• Posted

hi melissa i did tell my doctor about the side effects from terazosin and all he did was prescribe me a different one which is tamasulin , i havent tried it the doctor said its milder but i dont believe him so its just sitting in my drawer , but he did check my prostate and he said its slightly larger about the size of a golf ball

• Posted

I am a 71 year old guy who has an enlarged prostate and have had it for over 15 years. There haven't been any symptoms and the Dr. says let it be and we will keep checking on it during exams.

Unless there are serious symptoms, I would not "knee jerk" reaction to it. According to the Dr.'s it's common in older men and unless you have an aggressive form of cancer, the prostate cancer moves so slowly that you most likely will die (depending on age and physical health) before any surgery is necessary.

Any way, that's the state I'm in now and would not react if I was told I have prostate cancer. There are enough things going wrong at this age that worrying about an enlarged prostate is low on the list.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.