Prostate problems

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi

I am 43 and for the last few weeks I am having problems when I need to go to the toilet. GP referred me to a consultant after my PSA results were high. Consultant put my on a six week run of Ciprofloxacin. I then went in to hospital for a few tests. One if these tests was for my flow, which turned out to be slow, I have now been put on nine weeks of self catheterzation and told to come back for the same tests in January. I have asked for my results of my PSA but for some reason I'm not getting them. Is this normal??

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As far as I know, they are required to provide you with your test results if you ask for them. My doc always writes "copy to patient" on my lab slip and the lab sends the reports directly to me.

• Posted

I didn't have this, I have rang and left four messages since last Wednesday and all I got back was an appointment to go back in for more tests.

• Posted

Ken  First of all I would not make any appointment for more test without the the results from the PSA.  Go there and tell them you want it  If they will not give it to you.  Change doctors  Ken
    • Posted

Still haven't got them, giving up now, tried to move up to size 16 catheter but can't get it even past the eye of my penis😓

• Posted

Agreeing with Light1: you have a right to that info.  Call and ask for the info, then insist if they resist.  On this forum we have all learned to be informed and  proactive; it's the way to get things done and prevent tragedies caused by under-informed and/or neglectful medical staff and doctors...

• Posted

Rang again this morning, have a feeling he will send me an appointment and give me results then at a cost of €120 hmm
    • Posted

I hate that. Have to go in, pay big bucks for something they can tell you in 2 minutes over the phone.
    • Posted

NB I had my PSA test blood taken morning of a Friday in April, next day, Saturday, Urologist phoned me mid-day with the (bad, PSA 17) result, saying not to worry but to get MRI asap and also repeat PSA test the next week to be sure.  I texted 5 minutes later to ask what the %free PSA result was as he hadn't told me that and I knew the path form had requested it; he texted back (5%).  I guess some urologists might think it bad information to share by phone, and that in-person counselling is needed to convey a "bad" maybe-cancer test result (if we were women, I think this would be particularly true) - and yet .... you say he's already told you that it's high .

• Posted

Hi Paul

Had company doc today, he too is having trouble getting them to ring back. Not sure why.

• Posted

Hi Ken,

Speak to your doctor directly or the office manager. You have a right to your medical records. It's not normal, or legal, for them to withold any test results like PSA. Hopefully just medical office bureaucracy. If you want to be on top of your health, I suggest you ask for copies of ALL of your test results, such as blood work, any ultrasounds, etc., and not just your PSA.

As to the rest, not a doctor and don't know all the details, but sounds like you had a UTI and as part of the evaluation they found out that you had significant retention as well as low flow, all symptons of BPH. The self cathing was probably suggested to give your bladder a rest and to see if it can function better after decompressing for nine weeks. The self cathing in theory should also help you clear the UTI better by completely emptying the bladder. If this is the case I commend your doctor for suggesting self cathing as it is a step often overlooked yet can be highly effective. 

How many time a day did they suggest you self cath? What is the name of the catheter you are using and does it have a straight or bent (coude) tip? As a very broad guideline, if you find more than 400cc coming out of the catheter (you measure it with a plastic measuring cup) then increase the frequency.

I personally am a big fan of self cathing where needed, so please feel free to ask questions or read some of the threads on it. 

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim

I'm doing it 3 times daily, catheter is speedicatheter, size 14 at start now moving on to size 16. I'm finding this very hard to do, getting panic feelings just before I'm to do it. Feeling very low as every thing I read moves towards an old man.

• Posted

Hi Ken,

Speedicath is an excellent choice.

(1) Is the tip of the catheter (where it enters the urethra) straight or does it have a bend on it?

(2) Did they tell you why they want you to self catherize? If not, you should ask. Usually it's because of retention but there can be other reasons such as if you have a stricture.

(3) Why are you moving toward a 16? Are you having a hard time getting it past the prostate and into the bladder? Rule of thumb is to use the smallest size that works unless the purpose of your catherization is to open the urethra  up in the case of a stricture, as opposed to retention. Personally, I started with size 14 and then dropped down to size 12.

(4) You should measure how much is coming out normally and how much is coming out of the catheter. This can be important info both for you and your doctor rather than guessing or a once-in-a-while office test.

(5) The mental (panic) part of self cathing can be very normal in the beginning. The day I went home with the catheters I really thought my life was over as I knew it. Very down. Just understand that these feelings will go away as your body and mind adjusts. Or, in your case, it may just be very temporary.

I think the most important thing overall is for you to ask a lot of questions when you see the doctor. You want to know: (1) what is the diagnosis; (2) why you are self cathing; (2) what are your test results; (3) what tests does he want you to take in the future. (3) How can you get future test results without having to call the office a dozen times or making another appointment. 

The more you know about your own condition, the more you can contribute to your treatment plan and the less anxious you will be. As "Cartoonman" stated, you have to be proactive and informed or you are at the mercy of a very busy and imperfect medical system where your condition isn't always a priority.

Jim

• Posted

Jim

I was on size 14 for two weeks and now changing over to size 16, that's what he wants. I'm really stressed over this, without sound a little girl, is there much of a difference. I panic for about a half hour before I do this, by the time I wash and get the deed done, I'm nearly getting ready for the next one. I then have the feeling I need to go, but not sure. I agree with you on all the others. I'm going to have to man up.

• Posted

Ken, find out the REASON for going to the 16.  OUCH!  I wouldn't do it without a very good reason!  14 has worked for me off and on for 2+ years.  

Geting his reasons will make YOU more informed, and allow you to form a sesne of how he thinks and reasons.  You should know this.  Never let him brush you off with any excuse-of-an-answer!  And go ahead and stress "like a little girl (or little boy!)," but once you have practice and more info, you will likely get comfortable, even as we have...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.