Prostate, Prostatitis, Bladder

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have had prostatitis for over 17 years, I am now pain free and symptom free at last. There were times when I just felt like giving up and didn’t want to go on living, the pain every day of my life was terrible to say the least. My symptoms were all the same as what you are talking about. I was on antibiotics for almost every day of the 17 years. The Doctors wanted to operate, I have such a fear of Doctors and needles etc  that I put it off for all these years and I even would not allow them to examine my prostate by feeling it through my rectum. I am so glad I did.

I tried everything from antibiotics, to herbal medicine, to pumpkin seeds and saw palmetto. I even found a place here in South Africa where I live that claimed to cure all prostate health problems. A funny two week course of green stuff in 500ml bottles that was aweful and gave me heart pulpitations and the runs. I must admit that some of these medicines did help a bit but the prostatitis kept coming back!!

I researched the Internet over and over for years and eventually I stumbled across a prostatitis discussion where some guy said that when he strayed from his GLUTEN FREE Diet his prostatitis would come back.

I started paying attention to the things I was eating and drinking, I also noticed that in the mornings when I awoke, my pain was not too bad but as the day went on it got worse and worse which made me think it WAS diet related because for the 8 hours I was asleep, I was not ingesting anything, so that made sense that the pain was not as severe.

To cut a long story short, I figured out that I have Celiac disease. It’s a disease where you become allergic to DAIRY and GLUTEN. it is not something you can catch, it is something you are born with, it’s in your DNA and can kick in at any time of your life. The dairy and gluten amongst other foods such as vinegar, oils, some veggies, onions, carrots, tomatoes ( all the stuff I love ) I cannot eat unless I want the symptoms of prostatitis to come back. Celiac Disease also known as ( leaking gut syndrome ) has been the factor of my prostatitis!

I am not A DOCTOR nor saying that you have celiac disease but it’s worth checking it out? A simple test to check if you are allergic to things is to eat them and see if you begin to FART a lot quite soon after and if your urine becomes dark.

Anyway all I can say is that when I stopped eating Dairy, Gluten ( Wheat, bread, spices etc.) Some vegetables, oils, some fruits, vinegar, tomato sauce, eggs, caffeine, some margarines I HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK!!!!! I have been off Antibiotics for Four years and have been pain free for Four Years. 

My sexual experiences are no longer painful, and my ejaculations have more pressure. My urine is no longer dark, I no longer drip or leak in my underwear and I no longer have to go to the toilet every 5 minutes. 

I am 44 years old now, just to think back now how some of my youth was wasted on pain and all because of diet. Yes my food is bland consisting of lots of red meats ( which probably isn’t healthy), fish and chicken with basmati rice and potatoes mainly. Soy milk and cereal, decaf tea and no coffee, but to wake up pain free and to go to bed pain free is a dream come true!!

It’s sad that none of the Doctors could help me.

I also discovered something really interesting!!!!!!! Its quite hard to follow a strict diet especially when your wife wants to go out to supper and you have to tag along and probably have something to eat too. Almost 9 times out of ten I have woken up the next day in pain because of something the Chef had missed out on not including into my food eg: olive oil etc. I usually drink lots of water and in two to three days the pain is gone, BUT I DISCOVERED HOW TO GET THE PAIN WAY DOWN IN JUST 20 TO 30 MINUTES!!!! Just eat a steak ( any red meat )  There seems to be something inside red meat that counters the allergies like an antidote!!! Whether it is the protein or something else I have no idea, all I know is that it works for me and FAST.

As I said I am NOT A DOCTOR and this is not a science or a tested healing method by any means, but I swear that this is what I have discovered and I am a new person because of it.

I hope this was helpful and I hope to God that you all get better soon whatever way works for you.

Regards,

​Wombal

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have heard a story similiar to this in these forums before.  A fellow had unexplained reasons for prostatitis and eventually tried the gluten free diet and it worked within days for him.  I don't believe he had a problem with as many foods as you have. There was a post from a very young man just a couple of weeks ago with similiar-sounding problems very unusual for a young man. I suggested that he look into the gluten-free thing but heard no more rom him.  I suppose these are food allergies and possibly a lot more common than we think. Your example may help a lot of guys. Maybe the medical profession will pick up on it. Continue to get the word out and good for you Wombal!!   
  • Posted

Thanks Wombal - my problem is not an infection nor an inlarged prostate (to our current knowledge). It might be neurological damage following back trauma but if this doesn't hang together it's worth me investigating diet.

I have my cath out on Moday at a wee test clinic. I;m hoping I can manage without it after giving my bladder a rest.....

Cheers,

david

• Posted

This may be of help, I found it interesting.

If you’ve ever had a urinary tract infection, I’m sure you’re familiar with the healing effects of cranberries. But here’s something you may not know. It turns out that the protective effects of cranberries may also extend to men’s prostates.

This is great news for all men, especially those who battle prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate gland) or who suffer from benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).

Cranberries are a wonderful source of potent antioxidants, especially proanthocyanidins (a group of condensed flavan-3-ols, that can be found in many plants, most notably apples, maritime pine bark, cinnamon, cocoa, grape seed, grape skin, and red wines). This has given them the coveted status of a super fruit. But to understand how these bright red berries can promote prostate health, it’s important to understand the role they play in a healthy urinary tract.

Studies show that cranberries prevent bacteria from adhering to the lining of the urinary tract. In fact, cranberries can slash the adhesion of bacteria—particularly certain E. coli bacteria—by an impressive 80%!1

According to a new study by Czech researchers, the same mechanism that eases urinary tract infections can also help protect the prostate. Both BPH and chronic prostatitis are linked to lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS).

BPH is a non-cancerous enlarging of the prostate and it affects about half of all men over the age of 50. Chronic prostatitis, on the other hand, can happen at any age and is a recurring bacterial infection of the prostate that causes pain during urination and sex.

How well did the cranberry work? The researchers recruited 42 men who were all about age 63 to participate in their six month study. Half the men were given 1,500 mg. of cranberry extract or no treatment at all. By the end of the study, the results were clear: the men taking the cranberry supplement were pleasantly surprised to find that their urinary symptoms—including the flow rate, volume and residual urine in the bladder—had improved significantly.

Better yet, all of the men in the cranberry group had lower PSA levelsthan when the study began. The men who didn’t take the cranberry extract didn’t see any improvement in either their urinary symptoms or the PSA scores.2  

Cranberries’ ability to thwart bacteria’s tendency to stick to the walls of both the urinary tract and prostate tissue can also help prevent recurring prostatitis. This antiseptic action offers safe and natural hope to younger men who suffer from this painful condition.

I would, however, not recommend drinking cranberry juice. It contains far too much sugar and not enough of the nutrients needed to benefit either the prostate or the urinary tract. Instead, opt for a cranberry extract in capsule form. For a truly effective supplement, make sure that your cranberry extract is standardized to contain a minimum of 6% quinic acid and a minimum of 7% proanthocyanidins (often listed on the label as OPC’s).

To get the most protection, take 400 mg. of cranberry extract twice a day. If you have an active case of prostatitis or suffer from mild to moderate BPH, increase that amount to 500 mg. three times daily.

While cranberry is a remarkably safe herb with a long history of use, it can interact with certain pharmaceutical drugs like warfarin (Coumadin). If you are taking warfarin or other blood thinning drugs, check with your doctor before taking therapeutic doses of cranberry extract.3 

• Posted

Don't take it after a TURP, PVP etc my urologist told me as it is very acidic and will make the stinging on your still raw area of the urethra even worse.

On that basis I would think that it will cause stinging if you have cystitis or a UTI.  

• Posted

Thank you for the input derek.

I only came across it as to see what not to have when fitted with a foley,

another thing I found not to have and that is antacide tablets because they 

can help towards the creation of bladder stones ( I very often have rennies for acid so will cut those out now.)

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

I'd not heard the Rennies one before. I usually take Bisodol tablets so I expect they are just as bad. When I said Bisodol to my GP he said that's an old remedy, I didn't know they still made them.
  • Posted

As I posted in the other thread I'm going for my Turp on the 21st of November ( at last ) so all being well I will have a good Xmas.

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

I'm going for a HOlep procedure on 10-31 (Halloween!!).  You should be in good shape long before Xmas. 

Wishing you well. 

Ron

• Posted

Thank you Ron, I hope all goes well with you.

Kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

How did the procedure work and where did you have it done?
  • Posted

Hi , I've had a similar experience, was on antibiotics for 18 months and in continuous pain as well as IBS etc. Gave up gluten & dairy , and heavily restricted caffeine. I'm now almost back to normal after a year of very strict diet. If I ingest even minute quantities of either now I know about it , both via the prostate and IBS. Its made my life worth living again.

Best Wishes

Jim

• Posted

so trying to find out more about your diet like what oils work ,what fruits and vegetables work for you ,id like to try this but not sure what works besides cutting out dairy and gluten . i use olive oil and noticed you mentioned you dont what do you use on potatoes? what fruits? i also eat eggs . you mentioned you dont eat them . please i need more info...
  • Posted

May I ask, exactly where are the pain symptoms felt when experiencing prostatitis?

I am currently experiencing a nipping sensation around the bladder area and I feel this right after urination. Unsure whether I have prostatitis or not

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.