Prostate removal and bladder control

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had my prostate removed by robotic surgery. i am almost two weeks past the surgery and still cannot control my bladder. i am doing Keagle exercises but still have leakage when I stand up or walk. i seem to be able to hold it when I sleep but have to pee 3-4 times a night.

what has been your experience?

kirk

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You have to be patient with this as you regain normal continence first but stress incontinence ( wetting yourself when coughing or laughing, lifting something, even stretching for something ) can take up to a year and then after that they will consider replacement of your sphincter valve if the problem continues.

• Posted

Kirk,

Statistics show it can take, on the average, 12-13 months to regain full bladder control after RRP - incontinence. Since you are only two weeks into the recovery period you will just have to be patient. Your urologist should have explained all of this to you in advance.

Tom

• Posted

Thanks Tom, the doctor did explain it would take 3 months to start gaining control again. he said my age 53 is a positive for recovery. i have just leaked so bad that is scared be into wondering if he was telling the truth. thats to yours and Davids reply I feel more at ease

• Posted

Hello, Kirk. I wish you a speedy recovery. As others have commented, it just takes time to regain control. I was 64 years old when I had my prostate removed via DaVinci. It took me about 14 months to be in complete control, including overcoming the so-called "stress" incontinence. The two-year anniversary of my operation is just a few weeks away. Over the past 6 to 8 months I feel like every thing has been consistently back to normal. About a month after surgery I started walking on a treadmill (2+ miles per day -- at least 30 minutes). This made huge difference in strengthening my kegel muscles . To be sure, there are times when I am feeling down about the Surgery's effects, but I persevere. God is my co-pilot.Also, This forum has been helpful, encouraging, and enlightening. There is no PSA detected in my lab tests.. I am a cancer survivor. You will be, too! Stay the course. Don't give up. Reach out if you need someone to listen. May God be with you. Gene.

• Posted

thanks Gene, i am in good health for my age and like a fool thought recovery would be easier. But everyones input is encouraging and helps put my mind at ease. i am more positive now and I think that helps the recovery. i am glad you are doing well and cancer free since this is why we put ourselves through the surgery. i had kids late in life and need to live a long time to be here for them. i am just glad I caught it at a early stage.

• Posted

As others have said: be patient. It took me 4 months to get back to a normal bladder.

• Posted

I I had a prostatectomy in 2016. two w eeks prior to the procedure I started doing kegel exercises. if you don't have leakage when you sleep I believe that you can use your kegel tightening to overcome this. you have to remember the exact movements you were using when you experience the leakage example; when getting up suddenly from a sitting position. and train yourself to tighten up at that moment just before you get up from that sitting position. I've experienced the same problem as you have and still get the leakage if I don't concentrate and tighten up before I do those movements where it makes it easy to leak. but if I do concentrate and tighten up beforehand it works

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I am 7 weeks from surgery this week. I do have more bladder control now, but have to use the bathroom before going to the store, and watch my fluid intake. Seems like when I come home from work the leakage starts again. I am guessing the bladder becomes week as the day goes on. But from reading everyones input, patience is the key.

I am going to follow what Gene did and start walking on the treadmill right after Christmas. I am also going to stay away from lifting anything for a couple more months. Seems like every time i lift something more then 10lbs it sets me back with leakage.

Merry Christmas yo everyone

• Posted

one more thing, how long did you see improvement before it leveled off to this is the best it will be, 6 months, a year, or longer?

• Posted

I am Iranian. And I still don't speak English well

I read in a medical article on the site of the Urologist ( Dr. Ameli): If you have frequent urination during the day and wake up frequently for urination, you have major prostate symptoms. My husband had these problems before surgery, but unfortunately he had them again after surgery.

• Posted

I think you could try having more fatty foods, fibre and perhaps less drinks. Hot drinks are less likely to make someone go to the toilet, and cold drinks more likely.

• Posted

You say it is two weeks since surgery and you can't control the bladder.

Pls note that for many people it takes 6 months and for some 12 months to

regain control.

In my case, I regained control 4 months after robotic surgery.

• Posted

so here i am 15 months after surgery. bladder control is normal. But still have stress leaks and bladder fatique drips. havent worn a pad in 10 months, but I will wear a small guard if I walk more than 2 miles. probably the best it will get. But very happy its manageable. I cannot get an erection to have any kind of penatration during sex, and no one told me the surgery makes you shorter in length. But glad to not have cancer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.