Prostate supplements and prescription medicines

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've been dealing with BPH for the past year or so.  It started at 44 years old and I'm 45 now.  I had been taking Tamsulosin and Finasteride and they were working as far as urinating OK and getting rid of my pains and discomforts that came along with BPH, like groin pain, abdominal pain, sitting on hard surfaces.  Not all the way but made it a little more bareable.  I decided about three weeks ago to stop using Finasteride and Tamsulosin because I got tired of all the sexual side effects.  I'm still pretty young and I do not like the fact that I have a low libido, retrograde ejaculation, weak erection, etc.  I stopped taking them three weeks ago and started taking a prostate supplement that claimed to do wonders, including shrinking the prostate and limit my visits to the bathroom.  My pains and discomforts have returned so I'm thinking of going back to taking the prescription medications.  Does anyone know if it's beneficial to take prostate supplements while taking these prescription drugs?  My urologist said I shouldn't take the supplement because it might deminish the effect of the prescription medication but sometimes I feel he may say that just because they don't want patients to get better with them since they are somehow I'm sure in it with the drug companies.  Anyway if anyone can tell me if they have had any success mixing prostate supplements with prescription medication, I would appreciate any information.  I'm just not sure if I should continue taking the supplement along with Tamsulosin and Finasteride.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Frank,

I've been taking a supplement: life extension ultra natural prostate along w/ alpha blocker (rapaflo) for more than 2 years.  I hadn't thought that the supplement might diminish the effects of the drug.  I'll see what my uro says about it.

Good luck!

• Posted

Unfortunately many wonder supplements do very little. What are the active ingredients? Saw palmetto won't inhibit Tamsulosin. But it may not do any good either. Try to avoid supplements that come with 20-30 minute long video ads. You can research natural BPH treatments. You will more than likely be let down. Ask your doc about long term use of Proscar. My Uro is one of the top 10 in the U.S., and he would use Proscar for only limited duration. You can take Flomax for a lifetime if you can tolerate its side effects. Adopt a holistic plan. Eliminate all dairy and all estrogenic foods. Avoid xenoestrogens and read labels. Not only food but bath products, deodorant and laundry soap as well. Be diligent in this regard. You will almost certainly not find magic in a pill, no matter how natural. BPH requires lifestyle changes to keep it from worsening and you off an OR table. Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

Thanks so much Michael.  That is very helpful information.  How long is the limited duration your Uro would allow the use of Proscar for?  Are we talking months, a few years?  Please advise.  
    • Posted

Frank,

He is cautious with Proscar because of the studies that link finasteride to high grade cancer (Gleason score 8 and higher). Long-term use would be limited to 2-3 years. Also, with a family history of PCa - father or brother - he would recommend avoiding finasteride altogether. That said, it is effective at shrinking the prostate and lowering PSA.

• Posted

Are you sure it is BPH as the symptoms sound more like the ones I had with prostatitis rather than BPH. 
    • Posted

Hello Derek. I'm pretty sure it is. At the beginning of my symptons over a year ago, the urologist also thought it might be prostatitis and he had me on antibiotics for 3 months, with no results. I went to another urologist who then checked for stones which came out negative. Did your prostatitis go away with antibiotics? If so, how long did it take?

• Posted

I also had issues with tamsulosin. Self-cathetering allowed me to stop medication, and to get some sleep. Good luck, Paul
    • Posted

I had it several times over the years but it was mostly the non bacterial one. Some bouts lasted for several months and oddly sometimes just went overnight.

It has not recurred since about a year after my second laser BPH procedure in 2013. Presumably because of no retention or UTI's  Instead I am having my second bout of epididymitis,  

• Posted

Hi Frank

Mine started back then,im 62 now

I tell you to look into Urolift, nip it in the bud, make sure you are medicated for procedure,

I'm not a candidate for the Urolift, there is a lot of advanced things today, I tried Urolift because no side effects,could not get tool into my bladder, too painful. My next step is HOLEP which is perminate retro ,in 99%,but no more drugs and to pee normal, I tried saw palmetto and super beta and I have heard it works after a few months but never worked for me.

• Posted

Forget supplements, peddled by charlatans. Research prostate artry embolisation (PAE). This is the least invasive with the least side effects of all recognised treatments available. I suspect that early use of PAE can avoid bladder problems that occur over long periods "coping" with the results of BPH. Drugs seem hit & miss with some reporting good outcomes but most sufering the side effects you report. Most important of all is finding a Urologist who places you and your condition first. My own condition started around your age, PAE wsn't available then, but if it had been I think the results from my PAE would have been even better than the very positive outcome I enjoy now.

• Posted

"My urologist said I shouldn't take the supplement because it might deminish the effect of the prescription medication." He could be correct on this one, frank, and here's why; Finasteride and Tamsulosin are effective because they're both receptor specific.  Supplements can compete for those very same receptors, thereby lessening the efficacy of the pharmaceuticals.  That said, I was taking both supplements [u]and[/u] dutasteride.  I dropped the dutasteride, but it's only been two weeks.  Thus far, I don't notice any difference.  Then again, the half-life for 5ARIs (finasteride / dutasteride) is extremely long.  I plan on following up periodically on this site, as to how I'm doing.  I am 65, and the supplements I'm now taking are quercetin (with bromelain) and flower pollen. 

• Posted

Hi Frank,

Try zinc and magnesium - zinc is vital for prostate health. This will also support any antibiotics trust me, you will see improvement in a few days. I did after trying almost everything. Also fish oil tablet a day in the morning to keep everything regular as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.