prostate surgery consequences

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am frightened about prostate surgery complications --  leaking urine is more concerning that diminished sex life. I need to go back to work.  I have a lot of interaction with the public. I have long days at the office, etc    So give me the best case scenarios -- 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months, one year 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Gene,

best case scenario for you then is to chose different treatment modality where you won't have urinary incontinece and other side effects. 

Otherwise, you will regret surgery.

Good luck,

MK

• Posted

I used a sheath catheter for a few weeks/months and it was a 'godsend' Maybe you could consider this?

• Posted

Gene, what are your PSA numbers and Gleason score? Those numbers play a big roll in your treatment choices. Have your been told surgery is your only option? There are many treatments available for prostate cancer. Radiation treatments work well. Cyberknife is another good option with less time involved, and Brachytherapy is another good option. A one time outpatient treatment. Be sure you look at all your options, and there are many,  and decide which one is best for your situation. I'm sure there are many men on this website that will be glad to discuss their treatments and their outcomes. I had the Brachytherapy treatment about 1 1/2 ago and I am doing well. So I can only tell you about my experience with that treatment. Most all treatments will have some side effects, but they are tolerable and will end, and you can go on with your life.

The best to you, Charles

• Posted

Every person is different. From various forums like this, to personal conversations with many people each person has different experiences. I know a NYC Policeman who returned to work in 3 weeks. For myself I just retired prior to my surgery. I still have minor urinary leakage but at no time has this issue affected what I wanted to do. The pads are very effective and discreet. There have been numerous comments about this issue in this forum. My personal opinion is that it is not as difficult to get around as you fear. Do your research, ask around, you will probably discover many men have had surgery that you didn't know. Remember it is your decision that only you can make. Take your time. Be glad you have numerous options and the time.

• Posted

Thank you for your candor.  I am so confused , discouraged and depressed.  I have cancer in me.  I realize I'm not alone, but it has hit be like a ton of bricks. I try to be healthy. I'm 64 years old and want to work for a few more years to achieve some  goals to avoid financial problems. Life is so daily.    

• Posted

What were your conditions to limit you to surgical removal? 
  • Posted

I'm a little over 6 months in, and I still have some leakage but its very manageable, first couple of months had lots of leakage but down to one pad or so a day now..... complications are a b***h but I chose to live.....

• Posted

Thank you, Steve. I am struggling with all of this and am looking for candid advice and insight .  You have helped me.
  • Posted

Gene

It is as bad.

Find a good surgeon.

I had the surgery 4 weeks ago.Foley for 8 days.I had urgency and burning pain in my penis after catheter removal for 5 days.I dribbled occasionally 1st 10 days.Now I use a small white pad under my underwear and I changed it once daily.No leakage.and Yes,Kegel exercises are good,but the truth is,you either have urinary continence or you don't ,immediately after foley removal.

Good luck.

• Posted

I am sorry,I meant it is not bad
    • Posted

Thank you for the candor.  I'm depressed and much of this is fueled by the lack of plain talk. You have helped me! 

• Posted

Gene, my husband had his removed last November. Only option due to where cancer was in prostate. Although after removal turned out to be in whole prostate. After cathertar removal first couple of days copious amounts. Pads hospital gave him were unisex so not perfect in trousers. Continence nurse visited abd he got man pads. He was dry at night within a week. Daytime he generally used one pad and was dry by 3 months. He still gets an occasional stress leak but otherwise fine. He didnt do his kegals properly though in the beginning. In regards to sex unless you are not in an active relationship. It will become an issue. We had same attitude as you but after meds not working became very frustrating. Waiting for injections now..
    • Posted

Thank you for insight.  I'm married so that puts me in an "inactive" relationship, right?! A bit of humor from a very depressed guy.  Im being told the nerve-saving surgery will keep me in the game - eventually.  That it just takes a long time to overcome the trauma of the surgery.  I've been given so many mixed signals on all of this that I am simply frightened and depressed.  I am willing to accept reality so that's why I am casting about for information from others. 

• Posted

Hi

I had a radical prostatectomy in Dec 2010 and radiotherapy in Dec 2011.  Leaking urine has never been a problem.  Occasionally a loud sneeze or cough is a very minor problem, but probably most men of 70 have this problem.  My surgeon recommended Pelvic Floor exercises and I still do them.  As somebody else said everybody is different.  Really discuss this with your surgeon and medical team and take their best advice.

Good luck with the treatment I am very very lucky to be here to tell you about this, almost 7 years post surgery with a PSA of ZERO!!!!

KenW

• Posted

I opted for IMRT and I am very pleased with the outcome - I posted a while ago about my experience. After a short time I was almost fully recovered. Do consider this option - if possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.