prostatisus

Posted , 5 users are following.

do you think if you go private in stead of nhs you get better help to clear this up

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not sure about where you are but here in the U.S. the testing alone was crazy expensive. Then the surgery was unreal. All together I could have bought a small house for that much money. Or a nice car. Lol.
    • Posted

£175 for initial appointment in the U.K. and you get referred through the NHS much quicker from my experience

• Posted

I call that a meet and greet. Usually they do nothing. Maybe a digital exam. Was $400 . Prescribed meds that did nothing. Follow up app 4 months later to tell him nothing changed, another $400. So $800 bux wasted so far and no change to symptoms.( Fyi in my house that's over 2 weeks pay ) Tests now ordered. Urodynamics app set. Urodynamics testing was $2000. That day he also scoped me. Another $1500. Then a return app for results, another $400. He then ordered x-ray and ultrasound. That was another $3000 plus. And I forgot, every office appointment they do urine testing and bladder scan for residual. That's another $500 each app. Follow up for ultrasound results, another $400. If you keeping track, we are up to almost 10 grand, half a years gross pay, ( not take home pay) and still no relief. Lol. Surgery, follow up apps, uroflow tests, etc etc, another 25- 30 grand easy. That brings the total to around 2 years pay. That doesn't include the 15 grand they charged me to get rid of the infection they gave me. My prostate was so dense it closed back down on my urethra. So surgery had to be repeated. So double that now. Because of the infection I got, I am on the isolation list. Isolation room, all staff has to glove and gown up. So it cost alot more.

• Posted

Wow that is expensive, in the U.K. It's quicker to get seen going private but it's for access, I paid £175 to get through the system quicker. He did a rectal exam and said you have prostitas, 1 month of antibiotics, trimethoprim which has had limited success. Back to see him next week where I will pay £175 again but he will refer me for a scope (free on the National health service). What operation did you have? Here again the consultant can get you on a waiting list quicker but the procedure is free so you spend hundreds rather than thousands.

That is shocking money

• Posted

Nope. I was one of the lucky ones. Great doc who knows how to do it right. No side effects. Everything still works.
    • Posted

Phew, I have had this since February so am exploring all options. Scope next and see where it goes. Hope your recovery continues to be successful
    • Posted

There's site you can check out procedure options. I found a site also showed docs backgrounds, procedures they do, all kinds of info. Do your homework before you decide what will be done.

• Posted

Barry Just be aware of what your doctor is giving you make sure he treats you right.  I have a friend that has been deal with bactrial prostatitis from the age of 17 he is 33 and doing well He has some good days and bad.  I keep tellng him to stop with the beer but he single and whats to have some fun. I will have to ask what meds hes on  Take care  ken 
    • Posted

Thats good to know and good advice.  Now we just have to get them to do it.  Ken 
    • Posted

I have cut my alcohol and caffeine intake to zero, that's much appreciated- thank you

• Posted

People need to do some homework. Think about it. When buying a house you look at several options. When buying a car, same thing. But it seems ppl trust docs to give you the best advise. Most times it's true. But everyone is different. Spend as much time deciding on surgery as you do buying a new computer, you should be ok. Lol. The testing took a long time and was not cheap. But it helps paint a better picture to draw a conclusion to what should be done.

• Posted

I am very happy you had a good out come.  We have to to our own up keep on our body.  You can look at a doctor as a mechanic. They are well trained but there are good ones and bad ones.  Take it easy  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.