Prostatitis 2 months in ... no sign of getting better

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

Just after some advice really, but just before Xmas I was feeling quite run down but being early twenties drank quite a bit from 22-26th of December followed by a couple of days drinking round new year. Once all was done about a week after new year I started getting really bad symptoms like going toilet needing to urinate all the time, pain in the bit in between your anus and testicles, my uretha or base of penis aches after I go for a pee, at the start my kidneys and lower back also used to ache quite a bit but that’s gone now, also don’t know if this is related but I think I’ve got premature ejaculation also ( is this related ). The only other random symptom I have and have had for a few years now is like once out of maybe 10 times After I have sex a couple of hours later I have an agonising pain in the Prostate lasting 10-15 minuets then it disappears then absolutely fine which has been going on for a few years but never had any prostatitis symptoms until recently. The symptoms aren’t life changing  by any stretch I can cope quite easily, I sleep well, I still run every other day clocking up quite a few miles a week. The main concern for myself is the constant need to urinate it’s so frustrating. The doctor took my urine and he said there were some white cells in the urine and said more than likely had prostatitis and send me packing with a months worth of cipro, two weeks in its made no difference at all to be honest I’m thinking of binning them and going down my own route of solving it. I’m only 26 and consider myself as quite a healthy and physically fit male.

Do I need my prostate examining ?

Do I need a blood test ?

Ultrasound ? 

How long does this take to clear up ?

Sorry for the long winded message but if any of you guys have any advice or info I’m all ears and thank you in advance..

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Citro for a month?  Doc must have had a reason.  Did he do a culture at all before prescribing CIpro?  Ask Doc why not better after half way through the CIpro and see what he says.

• Posted

Reasons for Bacterial Culture and Antibiotic Susceptibility Testing

Bacterial culture and antibiotic susceptibility testing are important for confirming the presence of bacterial infection, identifying the responsible pathogen, and directing antibiotic choices.1 Additional variables such as route and frequency of administration, cost, and potential adverse effects can then be considered when choosing the most appropriate antibiotic for the patient. Using susceptibility testing to help in choosing the most effective antibiotic can reduce the expense and client frustration that may occur with blind antibiotic trials; lower the risks of complications and of promoting antibiotic resistance; and improve the chance and speed of a patient’s recovery.

• Posted

It will take at least 4 weeks for Cypro to work and probably 6-8 weeks . If it works at all of course . It certainly sounds like prostatitis. Ask your doctor to perform a rectal examination. Usually with an inflamed prostate it is very tender which can help with the diagnosis. You may want to try alpha blockers for the peeing issues. 
    • Posted

Thanks a lot for your response, any insight into how long this may last ?
  • Posted

If it is bacterial then theCypro should sort it 6-8weeks. However most prostatitis is non bacterial ( Check out the nhs website for prostatitis) in which case it’s a very difficult condition to treat and can simply go away on its own or flare up at random times . 
  • Posted

If it is bacterial then theCypro should sort it 6-8weeks. However most prostatitis is non bacterial ( Check out the nhs website for prostatitis) in which case it’s a very difficult condition to treat and can simply go away on its own or flare up at random times . 
  • Posted

Tommy,

I would get to a urologist.  It sounds as if you're prostate is inflamed.  When my prostate got bad, I felt pain between my anus and testicles which quickly began to feel like I was sitting on a hot golf ball.  My prostate was very enlarged and it pinched the urethra as it passed from my bladder to my penis.  This likely caused incomplete emptying of my bladder which may be why you have to pee a lot.  You get out enough to stop the urge but it doesn't take long to fill back up.  The urologist can do a urodynamics test where you drink a known quantity of sterile water.  They make you wait to urinate until you're just about ready to come out of your skin and then they let you urinate.  After you're done, they put a catheter in and see how much, if any, you are retaining.

Not saying you have these conditions but don't wait to find out exactly what is going on with your body.  Go sooner not later.

Doug

• Posted

Hi! You sound exactly like ME! I'm 59 now and started just like you! Its hard to say what the long term prognogisis will be...... I had all systoms you have had.  There is zero answers. I have been to so many doctors over the years and NO help.  Its just something you will have to deal with... That's what I was told so many times.  I don't like medicane and it has so many side effects.  Yes I have tried them all and after the last treatment I had it was called REZUM and not much help.  Just something you will have to deal with.  It will get better but it will ALWAYS come back, no matter what you do.. Its hard to believe that a young man can have all these problem and there's No fix.  Yes there's a short fix but I'm sorry to say it will come BACK!!! Have a good week!!!!!!

• Posted

You will get better.......... It takes a LONG time! Keep going to the doctor. If you don't like what they are saying go to another, the only problem is it COST everytime you go! Have him examine you. Give you a examine of the prostate .. YES it will hurt like hell! But sometimes it makes the prostate feel better. Crazy but it helps.  Don't know if you are married, but the dr told me the more sex you have the better!  Yes thats true. When I came home and told my wife she din't believe it either. If not married then you know what to do. LOL

Just don't give up! It will get BETTER!!

• Posted

Hi Tommy

Some of the symptoms you describe could certainly be due to prostatitis but could also indicate a number of other more serious conditions. For this reason you MUST get an expert diagnosis from a urologist or at least consult your GP. You should definately have your prostate examined by a doctor who may also require you to undergo ultrasound scanning, blood tests or other investigative procedures.

Prostatitis can range from mild to chronic to acute and may or may not have other complications, mild attacks should clear up without treatment in 4 weeks or so but if there are complications such as infection, acute urine retention or severe pain then treatment with antibiotics, alpha-blockers (tamsulosin) and/or pain killers may also be required and recovery can take 6 to 8 weeks or even longer. If the condition is chronic it may require ongoing treatment which could last months or in some cases even years.

PLEAS MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO GO AND SEE YOUR DOCTOR, the chances are it can be quickly relieved but if it requires more treatment the sooner you get diagnosed the better and you will gain the peace of mind of ruling out anything sinister!

Here is a link to more information:- https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Prostatitis/

Good luck, I hope you soon feel better.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response I will get onto the GP again tomorow morning thanks again.. you guys are great 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.