prostatitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me some advice for my dad. I'm really worried about him because he is getting no sleep due to an enlarged prostate. I am writing this on his behalf as he does not know how to use a computer.

He is 76 years old and has ben diagnosed with an enlarged prostate. They sent him for an MRI scan and he has also had 5-6 biopies. There is no sign of prostate cancer but his blood numbers(PSA) are around 32-34.

The water flow test was low. He has no pain but a discomfort and sensation of needing to urinate. He is up 5-6 times a night and each time it takes 20-30 minutes before he can pass water. He says he found pouring water on his genitals encouraged him to urinate. If he didn't do this he could be up all night. He is exhausted and the lack of sleep for the past year is getting worse.

The doctor has offered the TURP procedure but he wants to seek other options. I have him on vitamin D3 10000IU a day for the last 2 months but it has made no difference.

If anyone can provide additional advice I would be very grateful

Thanks

Shane

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Shane,

Is your dad still seeing the same doctor or did you seek a 2nd, maybe 3rd opinion on this 'coz sometimes the preferred treatment varies per physician.

In line with this, doctors nowadays use EMR systems so if you're dad's GP currently uses one and in any case you consult with another doc, they'd be able to see the history of treatments and medications prescribed to your dad. This can help them determine whether or not the suggested treatment is conducive to your father's age, needs, and overall health.

• Posted

Hi Everyone

I am so sorry for the late response. 10 months, but I went and did some research for my dad and the last two months have been amazing. He was suffering badly, going to the toilet  5-6 times a night. Numerous times throughout the day having to run to the nearest bathroom. No sleep, pain etc. Well I got him onto Saw Palmetto and these relieved some of the problems but he was still suffering the same issues. It wasn't until I read that Prostatitis may be linked to bad bacteria in the gut that I found amazing results. I bought organic water kefir and grew them, using sugar water and ginger and lemon. He has been consuming the water kefir twice a day, 500ml. He started out on 250ml a day. It took around 4 weeks till the night time toilet visits stopped. He goes once, sometimes twice a night at most. He no longer has any pain. I am stunned at his progress and i only hope it continues. smile Thanks for all your help and participation, kindness in helping and advising me. It was very much appreciated.

• Posted

Thanks Shane that is good to know and worth a try KenĀ 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.