Prostatitis and Bowel Obstruction?

Posted , 7 users are following.

For 40 years I've had intermittent bouts of prostatitis at the same time as flareups of grevious constipation. When my prostate flares up, I know I'll also be constipated. A week ago for the first time ever I could not pass stool at all. Five days later after different kinds of laxatives, a dose of Milk of Magnesia finally cleared the blockage. All the time I feel the old enemy in my perineum...the very uncomfortable sensation of "sitting on a golf ball." Does anyone else have the experience of their prostatitis working against proper bowel function?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Years ago before I had Prostatitis I had a blocked bowel which ended up with a Laparotomy and no major problem found. I like you get constipation with bad flare ups and put it down to pain killers and different antibiotics. Always then use Fibrogel and others, and in emergency always have a Phosphate Enema to hand as recommended by the surgeon years ago.
  • Posted

Hey ed,

I had the exact same thing starting about a year ago.  They initially diagnosed me with prostatitis and had me on anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, and flomax as I was having problems urinating, i.e. up several times a night and I wasn't releasing that much urine.  During this time, I had to deal with constipation which I did through Myralax and stool softeners.  It kept things moving but not like they did prior to the prostatitis.  I totally understand the sensation of sitting on a hot golf ball.

Eventually, things got worse and I had a TURP in August.  The constipation issues still have to be managed even though they removed about 70% of my 100g prostate.  I thought the surgery would help the constipation issue but it has continued.  The problem is that my bladder became stretched out retaining so much urine for such a long time.  I believe that my bladder is pressing against the rectum/intestines and it causes a bloated feeling.  The Myralax and stool softeners are effective and allow me to have bowel movements every day but they still aren't as, how shall I say, as satisfying as before.  :-)  But functionally it has worked.

I think what you are experiencing is normal but I would recommend you go in to a urologist and get a urodynamics test to see if you are retaining urine in your bladder.  If you are, it would be like a big balloon pressing against everything in a fairly confined space.  Best to find out if there is anything going on there.

Doug

• Posted

I have similar problem though it's usually the other way around. There are three things that cause my flow to slow down significantly: constipation, gassy bloating, and urinary retention. Hank

• Posted

Exactly the same here. I thought I had a constipation problem while this was prostatitis...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.