Prostatitis diagnosis just in - bacterial infection

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just got this Consultant's letter

"Apologies in delay in getting back to you with the results of your semen culture but I have only just been given these. I think the fungal culture takes some time to do properly.

I am not quite sure why they didn’t contact me sooner because the straightforward bacterial culture is positive showing a heavy growth of enterococcus faecalis sensitive to Amoxycillin. No fungi were isolated. Given this you may well benefit from a course of antibiotics. I enclose a copy of the result so you could get a prescription from your GP although if you would prefer a private prescription I can get this to you if contact my secretaries.

Given the fact this is prostatic infection I would suggest a 6 week course of antibiotic. As this is sensitive to Amoxicillin as long as you are not allergic to Penicillin, Amoxicillin would seem to be the best choice."

From senior urological consultant

Do people reckon I should take this med? Any parallel experiences? Will the med actually penetrate the gland sufficient to kill the infection?

Although the test didn't find evidence of fungal infection, that doesn't mean it isn't there. I am worried about the effect of the antibiotic on good bacteria.

In the past I have reacted very severely to erythromycin and doxycycline - although I know amoxyicillin is not a broad spectrum antibiotic this is a very great concern to me

Are there success stories out there of people taking amoxy for this particular bacterial infection?

Responses much appreciated

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ian

You could give Hiprex a try. Easily tolerated and suppresses or eliminates Urinary tract bacteria. It works for many people and is not an antibiotic with those other side effects.

Regards

GREG

• Posted

I don't have an answer for you Ian but I'm curious what country you live in

• Posted

I live in Birmingham, UK

I'd describe the medical care I've experienced as uninspiring, especially the NHS

• Posted

No secret - I think it's been there for any years as a result of very high dose erythromycin I was prescribed many ago and did serious damage to me - I think it induced prostatitis then though that was never admitted by doctors at the time. Then in 2018 I took doxy for 4 days having been prescribed it and then several months later it came on strong after I drank too uch one day.

I fear antibiotics

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.