prostatitis flare up

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 27 year old male and had been diagnosed with prostatitis one month back. Since then I've been on antibiotics ( ofloxacin and doxycycline ) along with alpha blockers ( tamsulosin). 

Though the pain is gone my penis is still sore and burning sensation still exists while urinating especially if the wAter intake had been low. The stream of the urine is extremely narrow and split. There is difficulty starting the urine. And frequency of urination is still high, once every 45 minutes.

Last month the colour of my semen was golden yellow but now it has improved to whitish. I intermittently experience difficulty ejaculating. There is no painful erection or ejaculation but I feel like it's blocked ejaculation. 

I'm really stressed by such persistence of symptoms even after a month of therapy. Is such long recovery period normal ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Tamsulosin will eventually stop you from ejaculating and cause other erectile problems you are too young to want that.

From the information leaflet:

Common (affect more than 1 person in 100 and less than 1 person in 10):

- feeling dizzy

- ejaculation disorders (little or no semen)

The nurse at my GP practice said it is the most complained about drug by her male patients,

• Posted

thank you for replying my friend.

the volume of semen has indeed been reduced but it fluctuates. last night i had a hearty (volume wise) ejaculation. but today for the first time i experienced no semen after masturbating. even though there was substantial amount of pre-cum.

moreover i've been experiencing narrow stream of urine which i feel is coming from a constricted corridor. though there is no pain while peeing ( a major relief from excruciatingly painful 10 days where i had perpetual penile pain ).

i'm due to meet my urologist in four days from now, should i be asking him about a possible blockage in urethra even after prostate inflamation has healed ?

• Posted

I'm very much older than you and have twice had laser surgery to take away prostate tissue due to BPH. Some of my bouts of bacterial and non bacterial prostatitis have lasted for up to four months and suddenly disapeared over night. It is a strange condidition that they mostly do not have an answer to.

I'm not sure what causes the narrow stream that I have had from time to time.

• Posted

hi,

I had a meeting with my urologist today. he says the prostrate may be imflamed and that's constricting the urethra probably causing the narrow the narrow stream. he has reduced the dosage of antibiotic ofloxacin and doxycycline and alpha blocker tamsulosin in half. all three have been reduced to once  a day. i'm guessing this is a positive sign ?

he has called me back for a follow up after a month and also prescribed a "uro-flow measurement test" which he said was to be performed just 1-2 days before the follow up visit next month.

while  surfing online i had come across several favourable reviews regarding prostrate suplements containing "saw palmetto", "pumpkin seeds extract" and "horny goat weed extract". i have purchased the supplement. since they are all natural they won't be having any severe side effect. but i wanted to confirm two things sir,

1) are these supplements actually effective?

2) i had suffered from acne and i've had two 6 months courses of isotretenoin (accutante) the latter of which is to end later this week. would these supplements cause the acne to flare up again ?

• Posted

Seems like your Uro is doing the right things.

The only herbal remedy I took was Saw Palmetto but it was for BPH not an inflamed prostate. I took it for years and it seemed to help with flow and urgency but did not stop my prostate from growing.

As you are taking other meds with it you will not know which one may be helping.

• Posted

Tamsulosin will CAUSE RETRO EGAGULATION ( dry egagulation )

I wish you a quick recovery.

kind regards

Howard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.