Prostatitis or something else?

Posted , 15 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I've been having some symptoms for years now that have a big affect on my quality of life and hold me back quite a lot, and I'm starting to think I might have prostatitis.

The main symptom that annoys me is a feeling of fullness or tension in my rectum. In the past, it got so bad I could not sleep and it drove me up the walls, I felt like I had to defecate but I didn't. I would wake up feeling fine, but as the day went on, the tension would build and build and it got really noticeable by the evening. I still get this but have learned to manage it better as I will explain below. I also have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but my bowel movements are in fact very regular - the only IBS issue I have is spasms that were noted during a sigmoidoscopy. On a related note, I would also get very painful proctalgia fulgax spasms that wake me up suddenly at nigh and last for maybe 10 minutes or so. If I do not get a good rest every night, I wake up with the tension and pain the next morning and it makes for an unpleasant day.

Certain things would really aggravate the sense of rectal fullness/tension. Sitting is the worst culprit, if I sit on a hard seat I will have nasty feelings of pain and tension in my rectal area for days. If I have a bowel movement that does not go completely smoothly, I get a feeling of incomplete evacuation and will get feelings of tension and spasming for the rest of the day. I also tend to feel quite sensitive after a bowel movement and avoid sitting down at all for maybe an hour afterwards or else I will cause this tension/fullness feeling. Because of these problems I am paranoid about keeping a regular diet so my bowel movements are regular and smooth. I eat the exact same thing every day, and in particular avoid alcohol since it causes harder movements and wrecks the next day.

In the past, I thought my problems might be caused by internal haemorrhoids, but a sigmoidoscopy showed that everything looked fine (only very minor haemorrhoid inflammation), but the doctor did note some spasms/hypersensitivity in the rectal area caused by the movement of the scope. I then thought it might be levator ani syndrome. However, I more recently stumbled across chronic prostatitis online, and I realised I had many of those symptoms that I did not think of as problems. For example, I get up 2-3 times each night to urinate, I get random pains in my left testicle or the tip of my penis, etc.

The control measures I have learned that work for me over the years are also consistent for chronic prostatitis. I take a hot sitz bath every night now (with the weight on my hands) and that is a huge help in relieving the feelings of tightness/fullness. This also stopped the proctalgia fulgax spasms I would get at night. If I am not at work, I avoid sitting completely and this has also helped prevent the tension/fullness feeling from building throughout the day.

In summary:

Considering that my main symptoms are rectal pain/tightness/sense of fullness/spasms, and that these are accompanied by frequent urination at night and occassional, random genital pain, would all this indicate that chronic prostatitis is my problem?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Prostatitis causes distressing symptoms (usually similar to that of urinary tract infection) many of which match yours, though pain intensity varies from minimal pain to extreme. However, there are different types of prostatitis and you need to consult urologist at earliest to get right help.

Meanwhile, if sitting becomes uncomfortable, try using a pillow or inflatable cushion. Acupuncture is also known to be helpful in symptomatic management.

Hope it helps.

Luis

• Posted

I would not advise acupuncture as a remedy, especially when he has not tried all the other more common measures.
  • Posted

Im 56 years....

I started feeling the same since the

Age of 23.

Every epidode ( about every 5 months) i ask myself

Is it prostatitis or.IBS?

I have tried all meds...

The prostatic msg helps.

Bentyl and librax is great for spasms.

But i discovered....

That a pudental nerve block or

Gandular block will help me 99% 

For about 5 to 6 months.

I also get Cupping and acupunture....

But the best is the nerve blocks.

Hope i have helped.

Federico

• Posted

Hmmm. Nerve blocks are not a good idea. They can have the opposite effect eventually and make the condition worse (according to urologist and prostatitis expert Dr Jordan Dimitrakov).
  • Posted

I am having pretty much similar simptoms the pressure in the anus is killing me
  • Posted

Hai everyone...actually i m worried about my semen colour i found it little different but i m not sure.... feeling pain in the tip of penis and sometimes groin area(if i m sitting for a long time)...i want to post my semen color
  • Posted

Been diagnosed with prostitis.Have been in some pain for months and months.Sudden flair up and chronic pain in rectum,behind testicles and hard to pee. Been put on a months worth of antibiotics to see if it will reduce the prostate size,even if no infection found(urine test).Can't sit for too long ,better on my feet,however this last two weeks it seems as though nothing will shift the pain.Taking ibuprofen which at one time did seem to work but little effect at present.Also have a hip problem which the doctor thinks might be aggravating the issue.

I too have taken to hot baths,sometimes three a day,it works like magic BUT pain soon re appears.

• Posted

I provided a similar response to the poster below. This is not Prostatitis - its Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome. Please look at my reply to ian57724 for more information.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up