Prostatitis or something else - how do I get a diagnosis?

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have soreness in my penis, and between the legs, mainly on the left hand side. It is getting worse. First noticed about two months ago when it was intermittent. Now it is there almost all the time, even at night and when I wake up. The smallest movement is sore, sitting down is sore. It is ruining my life. Walking, coughing, anything … hurts. Painkillers don't seem to effect it.

The doctors have made no attempt to examine me and little attempt to do any serious consideration of a diagnosis. My GP appears not interested as I have previously been treated privately by a urologist.

One problem is that I have had a couple of Urolift operations for BPH so I am now 'type cast' as probably having prostatitis. In addition there is only one urologist who deals with this, so I go to see him (privately is the only way). He tends not to listen and lectures, and I have little confidence he has even listened properly to my symptoms.

I suggested an MRI scan. He said that I should have PSA test in a few months when my symptoms settle down (!), and then maybe an MRI scan. (Further background is that some years ago I have a PSA of about 11 and had MRI directed prostate biopsies which were negative).

I would like to be confident that it is not 'serious' and would like to have a diagnosis, and then I would like to know what treatment to take. But these apparently simple requests seem impossible to achieve.

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated :-)

0 likes, 18 replies


18 Replies

  • Posted

    Hey Mike glad to hear you are doing better. I don't want to be a buzz kill. But antibiotics almost always help. Antibiotics usually have an anti inflammatory effect, even when you do not have an infection. It will most likely come raging back after you stop the antibiotics. But I will certainly keep my fingers crossed it will be different for you.

    Keep us up to date.

  • Posted

    Please find a urologist or infectious diseases doctor willing to have a semen sample cultured. Cultured, not analyzed. If it is positive for a uropathogen, you most likely have prostatitis. If you do, have it treated asap. Time is not on your side in this case. MRI is not a bad idea either, as it can show the inflammation and size of the prostate. 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up