Prostatitis questions/concerns

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 20 years old, and I believe I have prostatitis. I wasn't specifically diagnosed with it as my doctor was reluctant to believe someone my age had it and insisted it was likely a strained muscle from working out.

My symptoms were consistent pain in the testicles, anus/rectal area, lower back, and bladder/waist-line area. I also had a weak urine stream and occasionall pain on head of my penis. My doctor found no signs of STDs (not surprising since I wasn't and am not sexually active) and no odd lumps or bumps. She mentioned prostatitis as a possibility but, as I said, was reluctant.

My urine tests came up clean with no bacterial growth, but I was instructed to take Cipro twice a day for two weeks anyway. The antibiotics knocked it out completely and I felt perfectly normal and pain-free for 8 or 9 months, until just recently. My symptoms have returned, though they aren't as bad (yet) and I'm planning to go to the doctor in a week or so. I have a few questions I'd like to ask here as I'm not extremely comfortable talking about it to anyone in real life.

So, one common factor I've noticed during each occasion is that I was masturbating excessively, and I mean EXCESSIVELY. You see, I have severe anxiety and depression and am often quarantined inside the house and, therefore tend to have far too much free time on my hands. So, I was wonding whether or not that could be a likely contributor to the problem?

Second, I was wondering what the chances of my condition being caused by bacteria would be. The urine sample tested clean and had no bacterial growth, which was disappointing, but the Cipro knocked out all my symptoms in only two weeks which made me a bit hopeful, so I was wondering if there could still be a possibility that the proble is indeed caused by bacteria despite my clean urine sample.

Finally, any advice from experienced individuals is absolutely welcome as my anxiety and what not are making it extremely difficult for me to deal with this issue, so I'm definitely open to trying any sort of remedies or lifestyle changes that might help

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You did not mention if you had blood in your urine, If Cipro helped you in the past, call your doctor for another Rx. Don't wait to see your Dr. as your infection could have recurred.

• Posted

Ah, sorry, no there wasn't any blood in my urine as far as I know. I intend to get to the doctor as soon as I can.

• Posted

I had more less same symptoms but with blood in the urine.

Everything started with me with blood in the urine before having any symptoms.

I did all the tests possible everything clear perfect. However when I did the cytoscopy I had a friable prostate at the bladder neck meaning It was kinda injury or irritation.

6 weeks of Cipro it cleared up but after that I started having symptoms of discomfort when I sit down lower back mild pain in the left testicul penis soreness it comes and goes. No bacteria neither infection found.

After 7 months the blood came back but very mild for like couple days and it went away so I did another cytoscopy and look everything even my kidneys ! Everything perfect. Now I feel good no symptoms so far. I'm keeping running be active ... I dropped sex big time. I used to have lotta anxieties and stressing out... I'm keeping everything under control

Any thoughts??

• Posted

Many drugs have side effects which are positive.  Even though no infection was detected you may have been helped by the Cipro as a side effect.  If you are taking medication for anxiety and depression there could be an interaction with those drugs which caused relief from the pain.  Talk to a pharmacist about drug interactions with whatever you take for depression.  You asked if masturbating could cause the pain.  The answer is yes, if you rub skin too frequently it becomes sore and painful.  The muscles around the areas you mentioned would be contracting forcefully with every orgasim and would become sore if they are over used.  If you reduced the frequency of masturbation during the time you took Cipro that might be why the pain didn't return.  How often are you currently masturbating? If it's numerous times a day, that could be the source of the pain.  Are you receiving counseling for anxiety and depression?  They are problems that can cause physical pain and illness and should be resolved if possible.  You are doing the right thing by asking for help and you can also confide this information with your doctor, they are not going to be shocked or suprised by what you tell them, it will give them the information needed to better assist you.

• Posted

I'm currently taking Effexor for my anxiety disorder.

As for masturbation, I've stopped completely since the symptoms returned. I was previously masturbating multiple times a day but being a hypochondriac I started freaking out as soon as I started experiencing symptoms again and lost all desire. I'm not currently in counseling, although I should be as my doctor has recommended it to me on multiple occasions.

I do of course intend to start therapy as soon as possible as I've essentially been quarantined in my house for a while now. My anxiety has crippled me and I'm starting to fall behind in life, so I need to take some action. Hopefully dealing with that will contribute to getting rid of these symptoms. I'm willing to consider any approach available at this point.

• Posted

Counselors are like shoes, some fit great and others don't.  Your doctor might be able to suggest someone who would be good for you and if you find the fit isn't right, don't hesitate to change.  Often depression and anxiety are an opportunity to get to know yourself better and learn how to manage them.  You can be successful and happy most of the time and know how to handle the down times.  Your awarness that you need to take action is heading you in the right direction.  If there's a problem paying for counseling, check with some of the programs offering help through civic, church or government agencies.

• Posted

Mediocre, Google "prostatitis tips", lots of info there. Other than that, you seem to have a typical case. You will get better.

• Posted

UPDATE: Doctor's office can't get me in until later this week, but I've drastically reduced the frequency of masturbation (was previously masturbating multiple times per day) and my symptoms have died down significantly. They're still lingering, but a lot of the time I don't even notice them. I think I've found the culprit lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.