Prostatitis with zero pain, just horrible 24/7 urge to urinate/frequency

Posted , 85 users are following.

Hello All,

I am a healthy 25 year old male with no history of urinary issues.

I am at my wit's end. Last Sunday, I started having terrible urinary frequency. I will literally go to the bathroom, urinate, flush the toilet, and then have to use the restroom again RIGHT AWAY. In other words, I have constant urinary urges 24/7... It has been this way for one week.

I don't have any pain or discomfort in my pelvic area, and there is no burning sensation during urinating. However, I feel as if the urine is at the tip of my penis - that is where the urge sensation is most prevalent. If I hold it for a long time and it accumulates, there is quite a lot of urine. However, most of the time (especially in the middle of the night) hardly anything comes out even though it feels so urgent.

I can't sleep since it feels like I have to urinate constantly... last night I was going every 5 minutes, and most of the time only a few drops came out. I am having anxiety now because of this.

I went to the urologist last Tuesday (2 days in). Urinanalysis showed no UTI and bladder ultrasound was okay. However, during the rectal exam, he said my prostate was "off" and did a test of the urine that came out after the exam. At that point, I was told that I had a prostate infection and that the enlarged/inflamed prostate was causing the frequency. In other words, there was bacteria.

I was given 500 mg of Levaquin to take once a day for 30 days. However, it has not helped after 6 doses. I'm trying Motrin (ibuprofen) to no avail. I was told it takes a while for the antibiotic to reach the prostate. I have no fever, and no chills.

I am terrified that I have the chronic pelvic pain (CPP) form of prostatitis. However, I don't know if I do, since (1) there WERE bacteria present upon running the urine after the rectal exam and (2) I have ZERO PAIN. The only symptom is the 24/7 need to urinate. Any ideas on this? I hope I have the acute prostitiis form since this is cured with more antibiotics, but if I have the lifelong CPP form I don't know what to do... I feel like I will have to quit my job since I can't sleep with the need to urinate.

Please help!

4 likes, 293 replies

293 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i had the same problems, doctors could not help. I started eating a avocado once a day, no more problems, im 60 yrs old and my pee is strong
  • Posted

Hey roark, sorry you're going through that. I don't want to scare you but I had the exact same symptoms as you back in April. No pain no aches just constant need to pee. You hit the nail on the head when you said the urge feels like it begins at the tip. Try get back to your doctor asap, it's likely some form of infection. I now have prostatitis, I think due to leaving it for so long before seeking medical help. My symptoms went from that to penis/urethra pain - that disappeared after a while, now I have pelvic pain. I'm still not able to fully void my bladder - some days are better than others.

I'm still trying to work out whats caused it. I'm going for a cystoscopy soon. Researching online theres so many things that can cause issues with your prostate/bladder...

Hope you manage to resolve your symptoms and thats the end of it. Keep going to the doctor if you don't see improvements within a few weeks

• Posted

Hope its all sorted. There may be several different reasons, but as my father had similar problems I think mine is hereditory? I haven't yet met anyone who has found a cure. Certainly carbonated drinks make it worse for me and I heard salt  may be associated? Would be really nice to have a full bladder!

• Posted

I have same symptoms too and I'm 27 now have it since I was 25 and did have camera check nothing cleared wondering about circumcision? any suggestion?!

• Posted

Hi I too have had the same symptoms for over 2 months already I am 22 years old , I have the constant feeling to urinate even when my bladder is not full I have slight lower achy pain in my lower back, all culture and urine test have came back negative and blood work on kidneys and ultra sound came back normal, have went to urologist but he did not check my prostate because he said I was to young for any prostate issue was wondering if that is true ? Mainly my only real issue is frequent urge to always urinate, can any help with some advice
  • Posted

Wow! I can't believe I found this thread. I'm 49 years old and I've had this for over 20 years. It definitely comes and goes. I've had at least five infection test done, all negative. I've been to a urologist for prostrate check etc etc. i've always thought that it was stress related. It just seems that I carry my stress and it goes to that area. The problem is my eight-year-old son is now developing the same symptoms and it's really wreaking havoc on him at night. It's also at night that it's worse for me.

The doctor I took my son to today believes it may be related to the amount of diet sodas a drink which can be 3 to 6 today. So I'm gonna stop that and see if that's the trick and I see someone posted about eating an avocado so that's an easy one I'll try that one too.

If anyone has ever had these symptoms and did something that corrected it please post it here.

• Posted

Good to see someone recent on here. I've had the same problem for about a week now. I am 16 years old. I just went to the doctors today and they tested my urine for an infection. No infection. They then looked for any blood or crystals in my urine and they said it looked clear. My doctor mentioned Kidney Stones. I have had no pain while peeing but only in my lower back. Just wanted to see if you heard anything from you or your sons doctor?

• Posted

Hey dude, I'm 24 and have prostatitis too, I'm sorry it happend to you at such a young age. Hopefully it can get corrected since you're still in development. I have been dealing with this for over 5 months and had undergo several courses of antibiotics and medicines. Last week I started my youtube channel explaning the process that the doctors take you through, side effects from medicines and all the symptoms you my expirience. As of now most pain is gone but I have the constat feeling of having to urinate. I'm leaving a link to my video and you can also check my medical log on my channel.

I highly recommend you to take probiotics if they give you antibiotics. Any questions please feel free to ask.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hello and thanks for the response. My doctor didn't mention anything about prostatitis at all. We tested for a UTI but it came back negative. They also thought it could be kidney stones so they tested for blood but they said it was clear. My only symptoms are obviously the constant urge and then lower back pain. No burning. The only thing he told me is to drink plenty of water and check for anything unusual in my urine. Also told me to take Ibuprofen for the back pain. Just said that they'll check when I have my physical in a few weeks. Could he be missing something?

• Posted

Well let me explain you my pain, first is a 24/7 pain or discomfort, it doesn't cease to be there (I'm hoping it goes away before thanksgiving at least smile ). It could be pain in the middle of the anus and scrotum, pelvic pain or the constant urge to urinate. Is your pain present during the whole day or do you get relieve for atleast a couple of hours? (excluding sleep obviously)

Did he checked you for std? You can also ask for a urine and semen culture. What they do is an incubation of 48 hrs of your samples to see wich bacteria grows. Because if they give you antibiotics, any culture after that is rendered negative by dafult cause it gets difficult to get a proper culture.

They won't let me set any links so just look for "Prostatitis, coping and staying positive", or the channel "Emmanuel Optimisticus". The reason why I'm in top of these threads is to get answers and try to inform people so that they don't have to suffer as some of us do.

Also avoid sugar from processed foods, caffein, drink cranberry juice. Try to excersice and sweat for good circulation and ask your doctor if you can take zinc. If you check any immune system related supplements you will see they all have zinc. And vitamin C. Good health to you, let us how it goes.

• Posted

like I said earlier I've been dealing with this for 20 years now. It's not a constant pain and it comes and goes but is most prevalent at night when I'm trying to go to sleep. I do get it during the day however I'm so busy I don't think I notice it as much. It's  seems to be more of an irritation that can get worse and worse as a urinate. I've been to the doctor several times done all the tests been to a urologist and until I found this thread I honestly thought I was the only one that had it until my nine-year-old son last year has been going through the exact same thing.  The doctor I spoke to last week thinks it can very much be diet related due to the fact I drink a lot of diet soda that has carbonation in artificial sweeteners. After this weekend I'm gonna give it a shot to try and cut that out and see if that does anything. I do notice if I take a warm shower at night before I go to bed it seems to make it Tolerable and other times when I take ibuprofen that seems to help also. I'm really hoping this is diet related.

• Posted

20 years sounds like a lot, this last weekend I was precisely wondering how it would be to have children in this state of pain. Did you just came to terms with it or continue going day by day hoping to get better? I'm doubting starting to date because of this discomfort. I'm still trying everything, I'm on antibiotics, saw palmetto, alpha blockers and anti inflammatories. As you say, sometimes it seems to fade away if you keep your self busy. I was drinking a lot of caffeine, redbulls, protein shakes, eating a lot of candy and cookies or cakes before it happened to me, plus almost no vegetables and maybe too much bread and dairy. I started following a more healthy diet, without any of the bad stuff and it seems to have improved, lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks. I hope your child gets better, since he is still in development it could be an alergic reaction to something too.

• Posted

I am a 47 year old male, and also suffer from this problem. After being diagnosed with repeating bouts of prostatitis by my general care doctor and being prescribed antibiotics with little success, I went to see a urologist. The urologist said it may be cause by my diet and recommended cutting caffeine and gluten. I cut caffeine, but didn't see any improvement, but once I cut gluten there was a significant reduction in my symptoms. I still get bouts of it from time to time, and I'm sure there are other things in my diet that are aggravating my symptoms, but overall, it's be much better since getting rid of gluten from my diet.

• Posted

Hi jamie, sorry I didn't answer before, but I just know noticed the email. Yes diet does seems to help greatly, I could give you a list of what works for me if you want. As of today I have officialy been dealing with prostatitis for 7 months! And at 24 it sucks, I was supposed to start college next month but since this keeps you from working sometimes and is so debilitating, I had to postpone my education, wich makes me really sad and frustated, but oh well. Rant aside, I have been performing new stretching excercises for the pelvic floor and back, they have helped me greatly. And I'm currently saving for a CAT scan, a cystoscopy and a urodynamic test, just to make sure theres nothing additional going on down there. I can't share links for the youtube videos (the website wont let me), but just check for Uptown Mike, he's the youtuber I have been talking to and his last videos are about the stretches, and believe me they help a lot. I just bought a headache in the pelvis, really good book about all this stuff. For more details I even have my medical log on youtube just so that you can have an idea of how different doctors take different routes and that no one seems to know exactly how or why it happens.

Also to anyone reading this, if you want to send me a private message please go ahead, the more info I can gather or share, the closer we can get to better treatments and results.. You know, like sharing what works for who and trying different things, as long as they are approachable and healty of course.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.