Prostatitis - Wont go away (Enterococcus)

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello All,

I have been fighting a prostatitis problem for about 3.5 years. In 2014 I had a sexual protected encounter and began to have problems down below. To make a long story short I have Enterococcus species in my prostate. This has been confirmed by positive semen cultures. So far the latest is I have been seeing a Urologist and he sent me over to a ID doctor. My symptoms are tip of the penis pain (this is most pain), and sometimes pubic pain, inner thigh pain, anus discomfort, and perineum pain. I have been on flow max for two years to help with the pain which has helped manage the pain quite a bit. But I still have my bad days and my good days. 

So I have been given enough meds to kill an elephant. So far I have had the best luck with almost killing the bacteria with the ID doctor. When I first met her she prescribe Amoxicillin for 6 weeks. Once we were done with the meds we did a culture to see if the semen would come back positive. It came back negative which is good news but still had the pain. So we waited a little longer to provide another sample. This time it came back positive. Reason it came back negative was because the prostate has large pores and the bacteria likes to live inside those pores. So the meds manage to kill the outside portion but not deep inside. 

So we tried another 6 weeks but after a week I began to have side affects with the meds. Immune system getting low from years of meds I guess. So we switched to Amox, but I began to have side affects as well. These side affects were more of the joint and muscle pain. Not any rashes or etc. So we did another culture to see if the bacteria was sensitive to Macrobid. It did come back sensitive. So we began a 6 week course. After 6 weeks of taking Macrobid we did a culture test and came back negative again. Which is good news although still had pain. So we waited about another week or two and took another culture. It came back positive. So we decided to start again for another 6 weeks with Macrobid. But keep in mind each time we stopped the meds I didn't start taking them again till after about 3 weeks. So that gave the bacteria time to rebuild while we waited for positive cultures. So the second time I started Macrobid we did it for 8 weeks and again no luck on getting rid of bacteria.

I have been told my some Urologist that I should be on meds for about 12-18 weeks. Although the ID doctor disagrees. I decided not to take a break from the meds for a lil while since my stomach began to hurt after taking all those meds. Just on a side note after taking the meds I had a endoscopy done and revealed that I had Gastritis due to all the meds.

So my next option is to do liquid meds. Which is basically IV meds. They stick a Tube down close to a vein or something like that.

My question to anyone is does anyone have any clue about how long I would be taking liquid meds? I was told it goes straight to the source and make this much more efficient. The reason I was on oral meds so long cause the prostate is a fatty organ and takes a long time to penetrate the organ. Also the meds don't have to go thru the stomach to get to the source.      

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey JHA,

Try a daily prostate massage will taking your meds as it will help push fluid out of prostate pockets . It will help need blood and fliud in and hopfully cycle infection out.

Jim

• Posted

Hello Jim,

Yes I did do that while I was taking the meds for 6 weeks with Ampicillin and Macrobid. In theory the blood rushes down there so I figured the meds would go straight to the source. But let me correct my safe as I didn't do a prostate massage but ejaculating  while on meds.

• Posted

Just an opinion, I don't  think being on antibiotics for a lengthy period of time, is a good idea. The antibiotics are killing the good as well as the bad bacteria, in your body. Your body, needs both bad and good bacteria, to stay balanced.

• Posted

Hey I was wondering if any of you got better ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.