Protein Pump Inhibitors and Anemia.

Posted , 5 users are following.

60 now and have taken GERD meds since 1995.  Was diagnosed with Anemia in 2016. Looking back over more than 13 years I have become weak and tried to improve but this weakness I presumed was getting older. Finally diagnosed and Iron level was 4( should be at least 11.)  My doctor told me last Thursday start taking "Digestive Enzymes" to get the acids back in your gut because without acids in the gut food can't break down and get absorbed.  

Anyone else taking PPI diagnosed with Anemia after being on GERD meds for a while.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am concerned about this too. Been on Nexium 6 yrs. I THINK THAT IS CAUSING INTERNAL BLEEDING. That is when I started with low hgb and ferritin.  A connection I think. Not good will cause iron def anemia which has a lot of crappy symptoms

• Posted

The Doctor wanted me to get a test done (forgot what it is called) to see if I was bleeding internally, causing my anemia. I didn't want to do the evasive test and didn't. But the blood transfusion brought my iron level back up but it is getting low again.

• Posted

I am 70 and have been on PPIs for over 20 years and last year for the first time ever I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia. I had a gastroscopy which I think is the invasive test you mentioned and I definitely do not have internal bleeding from the stomach. Like you I am very tired all the time but have put it down to normal aging as I am quite badly disabled anyway. The only way of knowing whether you have internal bleeding is to have a gastroscope so you really need to think about having one
  • Posted

Hi, I was on PPI's for years because I was taking Naproxen. Like you I got more and more  tired over the space of a year. At one of my regular diabetic appointments, I had a blood test which showed my haemoglobin was 8, at that point I was feeling really tired and ill. 4 is really low. You must be feeling terrible.

I had a gastroscopy, sigmoidoscopy etc, and was found to have four gastric ulcers. I had to come straight off the Naproxen, double th PPI's and take iron tablets. It took three months fo me to feel anywhere near normal, but I feel loads better now. If you get the chance, have a gastroscopy done, it could change your life. I had no idea I had ulcers, no pain, nothing.

• Posted

I have a Hiatal hernia where the stomach pushes up into the Diaphragm. The invasive test they wanted to do was at the other end.  I saw my doc last Thursday and she said my iron was down but not bad and she failed to give me the number that hemoglobin was at, calling her this week.
  • Posted

If she said 4 she probably meant iron level, same as haemoglobin.

Ive had both colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy— done from the bottom end up.

They found a polyp and a fissure, also diverticulosis,though it was the ulcers that had caused anaemia, been slowly bleeding for I don’t know how long. If I were you I would have the tests, soon over and will rule out any problems. After the menopause in women and at any age in men, anaemia isn’t normal. You need to find the cause.

PPi’s can cause malabsorption of vitamins and mineral, so no a good idea to take for a long time.

• Posted

Hi Phylis you should also ask that your B12 levels be checked as all GERD medications prohibit the absorption. There are rarely cases of too much acid in the stomach as cell in the stomach wall secrete acid as per need basis. The problem is when the acid travels to areas it shouldn't be ie. the throat. Big mistake clawing back stomach acid because that only sets people up for further problems. Better to correct diet, eat small meals and use produces to protect the lining of the esophagus. Get off the meds and determine if you have other digestive issues such as Celiacs. Your body will always tell you if you are having food allergies. I took Tagamet for years and ended up with a severe B12 deficiency....ended up in hospital so I recommend you stop and get on a healthy diet and increase your stomach acid by using apple cider vinegar. Digestive enzymes are a good idea but they will not increase stomach acid. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.