Proton Pump Inhibitors

Posted , 6 users are following.

Been taking them on and off for months, would like to discuss this and their side effects and how to handlel these.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

i dont know a lot about these but be careful there meant for short term use only if you become dependant of them they do more harm than good. do you suffer acid reflux? if so try little things like bananas there good for heartburn because there low in acid also try aloe vera juice this takes the edge off and although its not a great taste its not unpleasant either. i kinder like it now its refreshing
    • Posted

Hi David, I never get heartburn. And avoid bananas because they are ful of fat. Some people do have to take ppls for a long time and they are fine if they also take vitamins, minerals and b iotics to replace those lost.
  • Posted

Hi Carmel, I was also taking PPIs until I started to read about the disadvantages.  I've read that they virtually eliminate the stomach acid in your stomach and this is a problem because we need stomach acid, not only to digest food but to fight off bacteria.  If we eliminate it, therefore we are leaving ourselves wide open to infection and bacteria.  I have also read that often PPIs are prescribed for supposedly having too much stomach acid when often the symptoms are often the result of too little stomach acid.  So PPIs, by reducing stomach acid even further, could be exacerbating this problem.  I am now taking probiotics as an alternative approach which support the body in producing good bacteria and with the hope of fighting any bad bacteria in the stomach.
    • Posted

You sound like a sensible person and I can see why you decided to do that. I know what you mean about ppis and their side effects, this is why I take biotics and lots of vitamins and minerals and anti oxidants so that I dont get those side effects. You have to be taking ppis for years before those side effects would be bad anyway. If I stop taking them my stomach hurts too much, that is why I take them, am waiting to go to hospital for them to have a look down there.
  • Posted

Hi Carmel, Bananas are only 1% fat. Hardly any! 
    • Posted

Re the post I put earlier saying you have to take ppis for years before the side effects get bad. Two months later I had awful side effects from them and had only been taking them about three months in total. YES you are right about bananas!

I found that when I stopped taking the ppis the stomach ache was there a bit and then went. What really helped me was the probiotics and I can now drink coffee with no problem where before it was difficult to.

• Posted

Hi Carmel, after taking imiprizole for several months  the phamacist said it was not compatable with another medication that I take. The doctor changed me to lansoprazole,another PPI, after a few days bad side effects developed, worse than than problem I was trying to control. Like you I am now trying probiotics alone. Early days but helping I think.
    • Posted

Hi Kith. I found that one particular probiotic helped a lot but am now trying others too. I made the mistake then of thinking that if I took a good one for a month and felt better all was well.

So am returning to using them with a vengeance. What bad sisde effects did you get with lansoprazole? People get this idea that if they switch to anohter it will be fine, but they all do the same thing, stop or reduce acid, and that is the problem. Our bodies and stomaches do not like it and some of us have to little stomach acid to begin with. I tried bicarbonate of soda for a while and it helped but then when I took it I would end up coughing and wheezing a lot and could barely walk down the road! Do look into the strains that are in the biotics not just how many. A lot of them list lots of strains yet a lot of them are only the strains that are suitable for things that are nothing to do with your problem.

• Posted

Digestive problems started seemingly out of nowhere last Feb. Imiprozole helped initially but problem kept recurring after each time I was better. The change to lansoprozole seemed OK for first few days then only seemed to make original symptoms much worse. I have stopped and started them a few times now. First two days fine then bad cramps etc. Been using various probiotics on and off plus about 2 kilo"s of live yoghurt each week. Hopefully combination of probiotics and yoghurt whilst keep off ppi's will return me to my usually very fine digestive system. Thank for your advice.
    • Posted

A lot of pepole call such digestive problems I. B.S. Yet it is simply the gut flora being imbalanced and YOU have to put it right. No tablets or medication or ppis can do it for you.

Nor can an operation. The ppis might be ok for a bit and then when you stop you get the bad stomach again but that is simply your body adjusting to no longer taking it and the acid returning to the stomach. You need to break through those few days or so lwhere that happens not get scared and return to the ppis and then all is fine again. If you have I.B.S. then ppis are not the answer and ppis have many negatives.

If you turn to the probiotics do be careful. Make sure they are the right strains. Not just any or the more the merrier. Research them. Yoghurt must be live, it must have no sugar and no fruit and preservatives etc. Making your own is the best way, buy yoghurt culture for that, a natural one. It is ever so easy to make and the day after there it is. I am taking different biotics and when I get to the end of one lot I switch to another but my research showed me that a lot of them contain the same strains so if that is the case one brand is the same as another. You may as well got for the cheapest one then. Water kefir, fermented foods and milk kefir are now hailed as the in thing, I found the water kefir too time consuming, tasted horrible, too much sugar in it for my tastes and cannot see how a drink based on sugar is healthy anyway.

Make sure you take prebiotics not just the biotics and cut out sugar as much as you can.

• Posted

Brilliant summary Carmel. Sounds like you have really been through the mill! I have never managed to find a probiotic that aggrees with me - I get throat tightness which is a bit frightening. Do you mind if I ask what brand works for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.