Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) and the kidneys....

Posted , 1 user is following.

I posted this in the kidney forum but no answers so thought I would ask in here....

I have been taking Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) for a few month and I only learned today that they are not good for people with CKD?  Anyone explain why?  I have googled and many sites but they just seem to just state that they can cause kidney problems but not how or why?  Does anyone else take them and if so, did they affect your kidneys/creatinine levels?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had proton pump just for 1 month. I think any medication u take for long can make your body depending on it.

Please consult a doctor.

Are u in the UK?

• Posted

Yes, I'm in the UK.  The proton pump meds really help - doc says he will reiew me in 8 weeks and if I am still having stomach issues he will refer me for a gastroscopy.  He said he will check my bloods too - so I will know if the proton pumps have caused my creatinine levels to rise.  I just hate waiting! rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.