Protonix

Posted , 3 users are following.

i started taking Protonix 3 weeks ago for acid reflux. The last 2 days i have experienced leg cramps and dizziness. I read that they are side effects of Protonix. Has anyone had these issues while taking this drug?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

All i can volunteer is that PPIs and other reflux drugs tend to feature weird side effects. Nausea, dizziness and diarrhea being some of them. But it does get better as your body gets used to it. Perhaps you may ask your doctor to change your medication to something more tolerable. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Maryann: That is a acid blocking drug, and as mentioned they do cause a number of side effects. I found this online:

"Rarely, proton pump inhibitors (such as pantoprazole) have caused vitamin B-12 deficiency. The risk is increased if they are taken every day for a long time (3 years or longer). Tell your doctor right away if you develop symptoms of vitamin B-12 deficiency (such as unusual weakness, sore tongue, or numbness/tingling of the hands/feet)."

I spend a lot of time trying to help people get off of acid blocking drugs because they cause so many problems and are addictive.

You can take a B12 supplement and magnesium to help with the leg cramps.

What were your original symptoms ?

• Posted

My original symptoms were burning tongue and sour taste in throat. I am taking Prisolec OTC since i was dizzy from the Pantoprazole. I plan on adding PEPCID at night since the symptoms come back after 8 hours. Any advice is appreciated.

• Posted

Those symptoms would be considered rather mild. I would suggest you try taking a small dose of Gaviscon right before bed. it creates a barrier and can keep the acid down while you sleep.

You may just have a weak esophageal sphincter. You can try my carbonated water treatment to strengthen your sphincter.

Drink 6 oz of carbonated water, seltzer or sparkling water. Here is the important part: When you get the urge to burp, you stop it. Don't burp, hold it down. It may feel uncomfortable the first few times but soon you will be able to hold down the burp without effort.

The idea is to strengthen the esophageal sphincter. The job of the esophageal sphincter is to keep the stomach contents in the stomach at all times. It is usually in a closed position. For various reasons, the esophageal sphincter stops doing its job. Whatever the reason, strengthening the esophageal sphincter will solve the problem of acid reflux and the accompanying symptoms. The exercise should be done 4 times a day to start, beginning with 6 oz of CW and 5 minutes per session and then adding 1oz of CW and 5 minutes per session each week. So by week 4 you should be at 9oz and 20 minute sessions.

A person will notice a difference within a week or two. Within a few months you will be able to gradually taper down to one treatment a week. I was able to remove the wedge I had slept on for years, now I sleep flat again.

You can also add organic probiotic yogurt 20 minutes before each meal with water to help balance you gut bacteria.

• Posted

Those symptoms would be considered rather mild. I would suggest you try taking a small dose of liquid antacid right before bed. I will PM the name of it. it creates a barrier and can keep the acid down while you sleep.

You may just have a weak esophageal sphincter. You can try my carbonated water treatment to strengthen your sphincter.

Drink 6 oz of carbonated water, seltzer or sparkling water. Here is the important part: When you get the urge to burp, you stop it. Don't burp, hold it down. It may feel uncomfortable the first few times but soon you will be able to hold down the burp without effort.

The idea is to strengthen the esophageal sphincter. The job of the esophageal sphincter is to keep the stomach contents in the stomach at all times. It is usually in a closed position. For various reasons, the esophageal sphincter stops doing its job. Whatever the reason, strengthening the esophageal sphincter will solve the problem of acid reflux and the accompanying symptoms. The exercise should be done 4 times a day to start, beginning with 6 oz of CW and 5 minutes per session and then adding 1oz of CW and 5 minutes per session each week. So by week 4 you should be at 9oz and 20 minute sessions.

A person will notice a difference within a week or two. Within a few months you will be able to gradually taper down to one treatment a week. I was able to remove the wedge I had slept on for years, now I sleep flat again.

You can also add organic probiotic yogurt 20 minutes before each meal with water to help balance you gut bacteria.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.