Protrusion on my finger

Posted , 5 users are following.

On my left middle finger's proximal phalanx, bone like, pellet size (3mm in diameter), fixed but shifting over time. I first noticed it more than one year ago; it was exactly underneath the phalanx and became easily inflamed the times I went gardening since I had to grab and hold on handles etc. I thought it had gone away.. still there! It just shifted position.

Now it is exactly 90° anticlockwise (watching my hand from above) from where it was before. Still hard, ache slightly when touched. I try to move it but it doesn't 'bulge'. I seems not to be part of the bone though.

What might it possibly be?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have one on my right middle finger and on the bottom of one toe. Just part of crap that goes with aging and arthritis. At least that's what I have decided. lol
  • Posted

If you have Ollier's disease, like I do, You will find these. I have had a large amount of these kind of lumps, Both hard and soft on the left side of my body. My left had, as a large number, my left wrist, has 3 really hard ones, They all invarious places on my left arm and side. All different sizes, some hard, some plyable, I have a cluster of them on my left forearm that are semi hard. They show up on my hands, like and injury, under the skin, and really hurt for a few weeks, then turn semi-hard, and the tenderness goes away. It's been going on in me for 69 years.

Norm

• Posted

It make sense, I got one on the chin slightly on the left naturally and a couple on  the left shin; those for over 10 years now (I'm 26). I've always wondered about their nature.

I read the story on wikipedia, they talk about "high risk of skeletal, visceral and brain malignancy which occurs in approximately 25% of patients."

Quite encouraging I must say!

Those on the chin and on the shin never moved or changed unlike that on the finger which likes swap position from time to time.

I got a similar one under the left toe, I'm not sure it's the same thing since it's on the surface with underneath just skin and flesh.

• Posted

Sounds like a cyst, I have one on the inside of  my wrist. The frist  one popped as the dr. was taking it out and it came back and this time it's also hard to the touch. Now I need surgery to get it out, with the roots, good luck!

• Posted

I have had Dr.'s offer to remove mine, but I have always said no. yes they are not very pretty, and hurt sometimes if you bang them, but, I think I'm ok.

Mrnorm

• Posted

Ollier's disease is about "intraosseous benign cartilaginous tumors" mine is more a sort of cyst in between the skin layers (it is moveable to a certain extent).
    • Posted

did you event figure out what it was?

• Posted

If that spot is not painfull, I would leave it alone. I have Olier's for 70 years, if I showed you pictures of my hands and left leg, you would think you are uneffected. My left leg is deformed, 8 inches short, I have the bumps all over the left part of my body, and now going to the right side. They hurt only when forming, then they are just there. I still walk and get around well. MrNorm

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.