Proximal finger

Posted , 2 users are following.

I broke my middle finger 3 months ago. I had problems with my insurance which I won't go into. But I finally got to see a hand surgeon. I could have surgery to fix the proximal part, but my finger will be bent downward and will get in the way. I'm debating on whether to have it rebroke with plate and screws just to have it not backwards but still have a downward bent finger that will get in my way. Now I can move it up a ways, and have some movement in the middle joint. My finger middle joint sticks up and the knuckle is bigger. Not sure what to do.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Joanna, sorry to her about your finger. Sounds like the hand surgeon wants to fuse the proximal joint (joint on the end of your finger?) I had the joint on my index finger right hand fused a couple of years ago and works fine. Mine was due to osteo arthritis. I asked my ortho surgeon at the time if they ever replaced that joint and he said they replace the knuckle and the middle joint but not the one on the tip because us don't use that joint as much. He left it bent a little bit and as I said, it works just fine. Hope to hear more about what you do and how you get along. Best wishes for your recovery. Nancy

• Posted

should have read this over for typos...sorry to HEAR not her and WE don't use not us

• Posted

It's my left 3td finger, got caught in a collar I was holding on to, the animal, a Nanny goat ran past me knocked me down with my fingers in her collar.  So the middle finger got bent back, the bones shattered, comminuted fracture. It's been 3 months. I had insurance HMO network doctor trouble. Get this no hand surgeon in the IPA doctor network, I find this out May 25, I had to get out of that network find a doctor that accepted new patients, before June 1. I did,, but know the fractured finger has healed and can't be straightened out. If I go for surgery the proximal bone wil be straight, but the finger will be bent down toward my palm and get in my way. It doesn't get in my way, I can pick up things with my fingers, middle finger moves up and down well, the joint in the middle does not let me straighten my finger out, but I can move it out of my way.  It looks like an arthritic joint, bone has a curve in it. It's not the outcome I was hoping for. I'm don't think I will have the surgery because I can use my hand pretty good, it just looks ugly, what I think. I don't want a finger bent down into, or toward my palm that gets in the way. That's what I've been thinking today. I should have had surgery week 2 and no later. I never figured this would happen, going out of HMO, but have to wait until next year.  

• Posted

Oh dear!!  Sorry to read of your injuries!!  And view the photo.  Do you ice and elevate the hand?  Are you doing any finger exercises to help with the range of motion?  There are videos with PT demonstrating and explaining the exercises.  Here is one with a PT who worked at Mayo Clinic (USA).  

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.