Prozac??

Posted , 4 users are following.

My psychiatrist just started me on Prozac along with my Buspar.. Will this help calm my overall anxiety, or just depression? I'm a bit confused on what an anti depressant does to help anxiety.. I'm also on ativan when needed.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I got put on Prozac by one doctor. It was hell for two months with side effects. It didn't help my anxiety, just put me into a constant panic state of massively heightened proportions, I had to go to A&E just to get knocked out so I could calm down!.

I swapped GP's and they said Sertraline is for anxiety not Fluoxetine. I guess it depends on your GPs preference. I hate the fact AD's are roulette.

You might be fine on Prozac many people get no side effects, some get a few and others get the sledge hammer, you don't know till you try sadly. sad

From my research though I am more comfortable starting Sertraline for anxiety, it seems a bit more focused on stress and anxiety over depression.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you.. I felt a bit anxious before I took it, but now I just feel generally sick, which is making me even more anxious. I just have a horrible backache (though I've been lifting my one year old so that's part of it).. But my upper abdomen also keeps getting weird stabbing pains and I just feel super bloated. This is all making my chest hurt, which is making my shoulder hurt, which is making me go into panic. Hoping these side effects don't last too long. Worst thing with anxiety are the physical pains for me

• Posted

Hi anxietysite123. I am on fluoxetine. The first 10 days are hellish but overall Prozac has calmed me down significantly since I've been on it. Still need further help though as like you I struggle to believe physical symptoms can just be anxiety and instead I worry about them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.