Prozac

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone used Prozac for depression before, my doctor gave me propranolol to try first before I try it and it is having little effect on the depression only helping a little with chest butterflies that come eith this anxiety I now have was just wondering if anyone else had good or bad experiences on the Prozac thanks

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The first time I took Prozac (15mg I think it was) I had absolutely no side effects and they did help me.  After a year, I came off them as I felt better and more able to cope with my anxiety/depression.  I tried them again in March on this year and they knocked me off my feet.  It was a tiny dose again but I felt nauseous, no appetite, tired, out-of-it, etc and I was off my work for 2 weeks.  I had to stop them after a week as I couldn't cope.  My doctor didn't provide me any alternative medication but at that time I didn't want to try anything else as I was freaked out. 

Everyone reacts differently though so what works well for one person might not work well for someone else and vice versa.  Good luck & I hope you're feeling better soon.

• Posted

Adam - sorry for late response. 

Whilst I can't compare with other medications, not having tried them (as far as I recall anyway, it's possible I tried something else from the doctor right at the beginning), I can tell you that I have been on Prozac for knocking on 20 years with no bad side effects other than the normal body adjustments in the first weeks. I find it a good leveller, most of the time and currently I am on the relatively low dose of 20mg a day.

A Prozac a day,

Keeps depression at bay,

When your chemistry goes astray!

smile

It's not a magic cure of course, and you may still be up and down - don't be alarmed by this. It's something to help you navigate the through the darkness and keep going in life while you either recover or adjust to a new reality (both are OK, though in your case you may well experience recovery to your former self - though don't be surprised if relapses occur and you need to go back on medication for a spell at least).

I hope this ramble helps a little, if it's not too late.

Best regards.

WN

• Posted

Thank you for the reply, I have been prescribed sertraline so I will see how that goes, cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.