Prozac 6-8 weeks. Feelimg awful

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been taking prozac a couple months now, and I still feel so nauseous, and spaced out, diarrhea, heart burn, flu like, just not myself. Is this really normAl? I'm on 40mg. Idk if I should stop taking them, or just keep waiting... help. Feeling miserable.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm in the same boat almost. I'm in week 7 or 8 now. I do see a tiny relief of anxiety, but not fully. I seem to get a different side effect/anxiety symptom like every 2 weeks. Currently i am dealing with sternum pain/burn. Not sure if it's heartburn or what! But it's annoying. But i was previously on rozac for 8 years and yes stick it out. It does work! You have to give it months to work fully. Sometimes even 6 months. But it's def worth it! Hang in there!
  • Posted

Hi Kelly, yes the message has to be hang in there, easier said than done in these early days and weeks, but in the end so worth it. I know for fact because just over a year ago I ended up on 40mg Fluoxetine and it took approx 8 weeks to say I felt better, there was still the odd crap day but as time passed they got further apart until eventually I felt like a new, much younger and fitter guy! Sadly that bubble was burst earlier this year when my doctor stopped the Fluoxetine abruptly thinking it was causing a newly identified liver enzyme thing I had going, well to cut a long story short, and after them seeming to take all 8 pints of my blood for samples, just over 3 weeks ago they let me start over again with the 40mgs Flux, so I'm going through the same side effects twice in 12 months which is horrible, but as I say knowing the final outcome is so much better the pain and torture suffered now is actually worth it. Best wishes, you will see light at the end of the tunnel soon cheesygrin
  • Posted

Hi Kelly,

Yes, I agree with what David 25160 is saying here. It took me till the end of week 12 to start feeling 'normal' again.  Those early symptoms are a nightmare!  I'm on 20 mg and I'm starting to laugh again - for the first time in years.

So, stay with it Kelly - one day at a time, eh?

Anne x

• Posted

i'm now in the middle of week 13 ...had a couple of pretty good days last week , my issues are still waking up with a down feeling and very lethargic , foggy headed most of the day until about 6:00 pm then start to feel close to normal....always hopeful I will wake up feeling good. I  went to see my Dr. last week ..asked him what he thought... he said most people feel the full benefits of FLU by 12 weeks. He said one patient took till 16 weeks with no dose increse which he said was "rare". I don't know what he meant.......Anyway he set my next appointment for after the Holidays in the beginning of January. I felt kind of dissappointed by what he said...not sure if I am  just being negative and obsessing. I wanted him to tell me positive things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.