Prozac 80 mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

after an unsuccesful stint with lexapro for a month my doctor wants me to try prozac.

each week i will be increasing my dosage by 10 MG until i reach 80mg. prior to that he did not inform me he wanted to increase all the way to 80 mg which i found out today

is it true people with ocd need a higher dosage?

ive been on 10 and 20 mg for two weeks and not really noticed much yet with positive or negative side effects

anyone that has taken up to 80 mg or followed a similar schedule to mine?

anyone input would be apperciated

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Taking Lexapro for a month would have given you o benefit at all - you'd have still been in the start up process and no doubt hadn't got past the side effects.

Starting Prozac and increasing EVERY week to 80mg is too rushed and again will give you no benefit. These meds need to be increased slowly or you will pay the price I'm afraid.

No you won't feel any positive effects within 2 weeks of starting these meds - SSRI's work slowly and recovery simply can't be rushed. You won't get better any quicker than if you took your time.

Do you also have anxiety? People often think they have OCD when its anxiety thats the primary function and which is the source that feeds it. OCD is often a side effect of anxiety and as the anxiety fades so too will the OCD.

I've not heard that 80mg is best suited for OCD - and in fact its not about what dose suits the ailment but rather what dose suits the patient. You can recover on smaller doses but you won't know that unless you increase slowly.

They are good meds and it can take many months before you see any benefit, and many more months before you feel recovered. Some people feel better after 4 months, others 9 months etc. Everyone is different.

• Posted

my anxiety isnt that extreme my main issue was the panic attacks i was experiencing

• Posted

I was thinking the same thing as well with the prozac going up to 80 mg each week. The thing is i was given lexapro by inpatient doctor since i was having severe panic attacks. The outpatient doctor believed the medicine best suited for me is prozac due to my ocd and i switched over. im also worried about shooting all the way up to 80mg in such a short span as well. today i will be starting my 3rd week but on 30 mg.

• Posted

hi george i have ocd. my doctor said that the recommended dosage for ocd is 60mg. im on 40 at the moment. so maybe u should go up to 60 and see how u feel. i havent gone up to 60 yet. But probably will have to in a couple of weeks. My

• Posted

its not too bad. i still have days where i get quiet anxious. so that's why im thinking about going up to 60. I have ocd about my health. But its definitely helped

• Posted

good luck if you do increase the dosage . do negative side effects also increase if the dosage is increased?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.