Prozac & Alcohol

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am attending a wedding Saturday and I intend to have a little wine.  I asked a NP friend and she said that it would be fine but to be mindful that sometimes one glass could feel like three glasses.  My cousin takes wellbutrin and never seems to be bothered.  Prior to getting on Prozac almost 3 months ago I was a social drinker and had a high tolerance.  Anyone had any experiences? I was thinking maybe a glass of wine, then a lemon water, then a glass of wine...suggestions

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kimberley

I have been on Fluoxetine for 8 weeks now and I had terrible side effects up until 2 weeks ago and now I feel marvelous. I didn't drink during the first 6 weeks I wanted the drugs to work and help me recover from stress and anxiety. I now have a couple of beers in the evening with my friends at my local pub and have had a couple of night out at the weekend where I have had 6 pints of beer and I have been totally fine. I cannot say that you will be fine as we are all different but if you like a drink I would try a couple and see how you feel and then decide. I hope you enjoy the wedding and the wine. x

• Posted

Thank you john19437 !  I did the same, I didn't drink anything for that first 6 weeks, then I would have one beer, so I couldn't gauge anything.  I will pace myself at the wedding and see how it's going.  Have a wonderful afternoon! 

• Posted

Hi Kimberly, I never had a problem drinking a bit on Prozac.   If anything, it made me more tired & I slept great.   biggrin

• Posted

Thank you Barbara79178 !  I do sleep really good now, so that night after a few and my medication, I will probably have the best nights sleep ever!  Thanks for your reply!!
  • Posted

Hi Kimberly I manage to drink fine on it! I’m ashamed to say I’ve had several heavy nights on it and never felt worse than normal! X
    • Posted

Hi Penelope!  That is great to know!!!  Thanks a bunch, I will dip my toe into it Saturday and see how it goes, haha.
  • Posted

I am on day 7 went out for my anniversary dinner and had a boulevard wheat, one of the taller mugs. got quite a buzz and a pretty bad headache about 2 hrs later.

• Posted

I drank at a wedding and Saturday night I had a beer, but I am finding that being on Prozac I don't want to drink like I use to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.