Prozac and generic fluoxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

just thought I would share my experience of this as, when I looked it up on internet, could find nothing. I started off on generic fluoxetine 20mg. After relatively mild initial side effects, was working well. Really started to feel more like myself again. However, after dodgy experiences on different sertraline generics ( some much better than others) I asked doc to put me on branded Prozac to be sure I got the exact same pill every time. He did so. I was off work for 2 days as I didn't sleep a wink for 4 days, had diahorrea and terrible joint pain. However, it settled down and I continued. But....joint pain never went away and I was aching all over, especially hips, knees and ankles. Anyway...tried to track down initial generic and I think I have. Went back onto Bristol Laboratories last week and aches have almost gone. Weird! I guess my questions are....has anyone else experienced this awful joint pain? Has anyone else found Prozac worse than generic? And does anyone find that particular generics are better than others? I know some will say that they are all bio-equivalent and should be exactly the same...but I know what my experience tells me.

thanks for reading x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I got terrible joint pain for about a week or two within the first eight weeks. I'm tapering off now and have had a touch of this again (not as severe though). Seems to have passed now, as I'm down to 5mg per day. I am and have always been on the same generic fluoxetine. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Craig. I was on the Prozac for 6 weeks and had terrible joint pin throughout. Back on the generic 6 days and it has almost totally gone. Glad to hear you are feeling better!
  • Posted

Hiya! This is worrying , as I've been on floux for many years , often I find that they are a different colour, does that mean the ingredient is different too!?

• Posted

Sorry to worry you! No....they all have to have the same active ingredients but the non active ingredients e.g. Colouring etc can vary. I found on sertraline that I got one brand of generic (can't remember which) that did not work as well as others. If you have had no problems then all will be fine. Some people have loads of different generics and feel no different, so it is also down to how it affects individuals. But the active ingredients have to be the same in all. Hope this puts your mind at rest and sorry to worry you xx

• Posted

That's OK my love , I'm fine about it really !! That's put my mind at rest!!¡ xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.