prozac and insomnia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been on 20 mg for 22 days.  Last few days have been awful with sleeping. Maybe 2-4 hours a night.    I read this is a side effect.  Could someone please please tell me this will go away?   Thanks soo much! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan

It goes away. Promise.

Unfortunately, typically, you have another three to five weeks of this hell. It only lasted three or four weeks for me, on 20mg same as you. The dosage is the deciding factor, however - it just varies person to person. I hope you are one of the lucky ones.

It doesn't suddenly start to work, it's a very gradual process. Look for brighter or less down moments - they will increase over time and, hopefully, you will emerge from the nightmare and stand in the light, feeling like yourself.

Only thing I know until then is to distract yourself and treat yourself and be as kind and gentle as you can to yourself. Never mind a few pounds gained, you can deal with them once you are well again.

I've been on 20mg for a couple of years now - three? - more? - sleep like a log and have never been happier.

Disclaimer: apparently fluoxetine doesn't work for everyone but you have to give it three months to find out, barring bad reactions to the drug. At three weeks, you'd have known that so perseverance is the way to go. The pits, innit?

Good luck and may you find happiness again.

• Posted

That should have read, "The dosage isn't the deciding factor.." Is not.

• Posted

Thank you - you put my fears to rest.  I thought I was going to have to start another AD and I didn't want to lose my progress on this.  Glad to hear it will clear. I can handle that. Thanks for responding  smile

• Posted

I appreciate the insight as well. I am only on day 4. Horrible anxiety, and depression and just want to cry all the time. For me sleep is my only reprieve. Although it is full of dreams. Too scared to take the clonazepam my doctor prescribed.

Good luck to you Susan. I hope you heal as quick as possible.

• Posted

Yes Susan. It will get better. I was dealing with insomnia and then I began taking 20 mg and it just didn't get better and I was so worried and tired all the time. But around the 4th week my sleep began to improve. I am at 8 weeks at 20 mg and it's better now.. I am positive you'll go back to regular sleep patterns too just stay positive and hang in there!

• Posted

Thank you. I was gettting soo afraid and not sleeping makes it worse, as we all know.  I can hang in there!!  Glad I found you guys.  smile
    • Posted

Hi Susan 

I had the same. I actually had insomnia as I developed anxiety towards sleep before taking these meds. I was taking a stack of sleeping meds and they were not helping at all. When the SE kicked in I didn't sleep for a few days

=( and thought I was going crazy. 

At the end of week 4 things improved for me - now at week 7 I take a fraction of the sleeping meds and I'm getting 6-7 hours most nights (a bit broken still). I actually feel like natural sleep may only be a couple of weeks away =). 

This is the toughest journey of my life, but I'm determined to get well for myself and my family. 

Hang in there - there is plenty of support here, as we are all going through similar challenges =). 

Cheers, Craig 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.