Prozac Dosage

Posted , 4 users are following.

i understand everyone is different and reacts differently to medications.

Has anyone ever been prescribed a starting dosage of prozac or any medication at the lowest dosage the first week and your doctor prescribed it to go up in increments of 10 each week until the higjest dosage is reached?

for example:

i will be starting prozac next week at a starting dosage of 10 mg so my schedule will look as follow

week1: 10 mg

week 2: 20g

week 3: 30 mg

week 4: 40 mg

40 mg is the highest dosage

the prozac is for my ocd tendencies

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i believe the highest dose is 80MG. i was started on 10 than went up to 80 over a months time.

• Posted

ok so its not out the norm. if you dont mind me asking hows it working for you?

• Posted

Hi george;

When I started taking prozac 30 years ago I was started off at 40mg. and have stayed on that doseage.

You will feel better I promise you. Prozac is a slow build up, long acting anti-depressant. It doesn't mask

our woes, it turns on our lights making it much easier to navigate our way through them.

Hang in george, life is goood!

Be well ... xo

• Posted

thank you for your response

i have finished my first week of prozac at 10 mg and have started my 2nd day of 20 mg today

during those 30 years have you been on prozac consistently? have you noticed any side effects?

• Posted

I gained a bunch of weight - 35 lbs, my hair thinned, I remember my body aching. Other 'Lady' things changed. All of these things

went away within 6 or so months except the weight and lady things took a long time. The changes with your OCD will be gradual George you will just notice one day that stuff that annoyed you just don't as much any more. Prozac isn't a fast acting medication. It takes time to get into your bloodstream.

Listen to your body with each increase. You may feel a bit dizzy and or groggy. If you need to sit then sit or have a nap!

Be kind to yourself george. Please remember that it is gradual, you will be seeing life in a whole different way just be patient.

• Posted

I just remembered yawning and deeply inhaling alot more than normal.

I couldn't tell you now how long it lasted or if it was even related.

• Posted

sounds good. i will continue taking it for the duration of time but i dont want to stay on ssri for my whole life. thank you for your responses

• Posted

nobody wants to stay on these meds for life, and quite honestly, they were initially designed for usage for shorter periods of time. Ive come to the conclusion that if i can get off of them, great, more power to me, but if not, then thats ok too, because id rather feel somewhat normal than feel like poop. i try not to think about coming off them anymore as it became an obsession reading all the horrors of trying to come off them, so i just stopped dreaming of weaning off them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.